Is there any benefit to having a bigger boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm just about to place my order for a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832. This spec is adequate for the house. However, the next size up, the Ecotec Plus 838 is only £140 more.

In time, say 5 years for example, I might do a loft conversion adding an extra radiator and another bathroom.

Would it make sense to fork out the extra £140 or could it cause problems by having a boiler which would be too big for the property in its current size?

Many thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Heating wise you're already probably at least twice as powerful as you actually need, so don't even consider when adding another radiator. It's hot water performance which is the deciding factor with a combi. If your incoming water main isn't going to improve then it won't make one bit of difference, you still won't be able to run 2 showers at once for instance.

As above, your heating will be massively overpowered and not wonderfully efficient with an 832, and you won't be able to run two bathrooms sensibly even with an 838. If you think you're going to want two bathrooms, something like a 615 or 618 and a hot water cylinder would be much more appropriate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back