Is There Still A Shortage Of Plumbers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago, if you believed what you read in the papers, there was supposed to be a major shortage of plumbers. The press seemed to suggest that you couldn't get a plumber for love nor money, and if you could get one to visit, he would charge you lots of money for the privilige.

What's the situation like now? Has everyone jumped on the bandwagon and flooded the market?

I would imagine that the recession, together with the fact that evey town seems to have at least one 'academy' to train new plumbers (the college in my home town of Bristol turns out 170 trainees with C&G certs every year!) would mean that this situation no longer exists. Every third van on the road seems to have 'plumbing' and/or 'heating services' written on the side.

Have a lot of people paid their money, done the training, and got their certificates and gone into plumbing and found that its not all that its cracked up to be? People seemed to think that it was a way of making very good money: if this ever was the case, are they now finding that its not quite that easy or straightforward?

What are things like out there now in the plumbing industry?

Sponsored Links
flooded with 6 week course wannabes. going in a stupid rates thats not even worth me getting in the van for.
then making a total hash of the job.

I bailed out of self employment last year. Everybody and their dog was doing plumbing. Centre I renewed ACS at was turning out plakka tradesmen on a weekly basis. Couldn't be a***d with the chew on.

There is little work around my area. The going rate for an employed fully qualified gas engineer with experience is about 26,000 pounds annually.

Other jobs are starting to pay more,there was an assistant librarian 9-5 for 31,000 .

The skill and qualifications for a gas engineer do not mean alot anymore.
The centres which are stating that there is a shortage of plumbers,and you can earn 50,000 are only saying this to get apprentices to sign up to their courses.

Someone should complain to the advertising standards agency who should investigate the claims thoroughly. :cry:

Sponsored Links
The Poles are multi tradesmen, ( can`t do any ) paid a pittance but did you know that this Government is paying child benefit for their families in Poland whilst they work here, and every Pole that goes home receives £4000.00. :eek: They then change their name and return here. Back home again, another 4 Grand. Good here innit. :rolleyes: Last Pole I worked with was building his own home and starting his own business in Poland. Long Live our Gracious Queen...etc.

The Poles are multi tradesmen, ( can`t do any ) paid a pittance but did you know that this Government is paying child benefit for their families in Poland whilst they work here, and every Pole that goes home receives £4000.00. :eek: They then change their name and return here. Back home again, another 4 Grand. Good here innit. :rolleyes: Last Pole I worked with was building his own home and starting his own business in Poland. Long Live our Gracious Queen...etc.

I would be interested in a link that substantiates this.

That substantiates what? that I have worked with Poles or they are getting Benefit whilst working here or that they are not Tradesmen?

They do. talk to your local MP & ask him. ;) Part of the deal for them to work here.

You claimed it, you prove it. Or did you just hear it from a mate, of a mate of a mate, who heard it from a mate? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wish you were more worthy of my time, you infantile.Go play in the bubblepond.YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWN.

You claimed it, you prove it. Or did you just hear it from a mate, of a mate of a mate, who heard it from a mate? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wish you were more worthy of my time, you infantile.Go play in the bubblepond.YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWN.

Grow up stupid.....................................................................................................Oh, you did :D :) :eek: :LOL: :p

It is a real pity that true 'plumbers' rarely exist anymore.

When i watch an old school plumber burning lead, forming gutters and valleys, dealing with all things water and doing the things that proper plumbers used to do, i look on with admiration.

Today's plumbers are "heating engineers" and are slowly becoming devoid of skill. You could train a chimp to assemble a boiler.

Sponsored Links
Back