Is this a gas pipe or water pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20220324_153029.jpg
My gas meter has lead pipes coming off it. I need some work doing, but new regulations say that lead pipes cannot be connected to copper pipes.

My boiler however has copper pipes coming off it.

So, somewhere the copper pipes must have joined the lead pipes before the law made such connections illegal.

Annoyingly, the lead pipe that comes out of the gas meter goes into the chimney breast and goes upstairs. When looking upstairs, 2 pipes come out of the chimney breast, lead and copper.

Perhaps somebody made the lead to copper join inside the chimney breast.

But how do I know if this copper pipe is actually gas, and not a water connection? Is it possible to know from an image?

The image shows both copper pipe and lead pipe side by side.

Sponsored Links
Run a hot and cold tap and feel the pipes see if any change temp or you can feel water flowing in them

... running the cold tap doesn't seem to have made it any colder though

Sponsored Links
My gas has been disconected so I can't run the hot tap
why can't you run the run the tap? the gas has been disconnected not the water. it may not run hot but you would feel if water was running through it

My gas is disconnected, so the water won't run hot to feel the pipe change in temperature.

run both hot and cold, get a large screwdriver and put it against the pipe, put the other end on your ear, if it's live water then you will hear water running through it. Try it with a pipe you know will have running water through it and that will give you an example of what it sounds like.

run both hot and cold, get a large screwdriver and put it against the pipe, put the other end on your ear, if it's live water then you will hear water running through it. Try it with a pipe you know will have running water through it and that will give you an example of what it sounds like.
Excellent reply.
I was a trainee mechanic many, many moons ago and we'd do the same to listen for tappets etc. I still use the technique to this day with many applications, as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back