Is this a really stupid idea????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to fit a D-shaped shower against a wall where a doorway to a corridor is presently situated. My partner wants to board up the door and plaster over it then fit the shower on the other side.

I have suggested that we fix the door to the outside in the corridor and keep it as a service hatch to the plumbing of the shower in case something went wrong in the future.

My partner is dubious :confused: But I see it as a win win situation, not only would there be no need to go to the trouble of boarding it all up but we would be able to access the pipework in an emergency without having to take down the shower enclosure and rip off the tiling and fixings.

My partner's only argument is that it would be such an unusual feature that it might put people off should we come to sell one day.

Given the opportunity wouldn't everyone have a service door behind their shower :rolleyes: ?

Are there any plumbers out there who can see a downside to my suggestion?

I really want to win this argument by the way :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have done a similar thing at my parents place. it worked out a treat. while slightly odd there is no prob with this idea. If you came to sell later wont cost much to cover over.

bobbych said:
If you came to sell later wont cost much to cover over.

Partner said "fair point". I think he might be coming round to the idea :D

Thanks bobbych.

:oops: No offence Bobbych but I just need a couple more replies and I think my partner will be convinced.

If anyone else can give the thumbs up to my idea I would be most grateful ;)

Sponsored Links
amandaclegg said:
:oops: No offence Bobbych but I just need a couple more replies and I think my partner will be convinced.

If anyone else can give the thumbs up to my idea I would be most grateful ;)

Why a door? Why not a mirror or something?

amandaclegg said:
I have suggested that we fix the door to the outside in the corridor and keep it as a service hatch to the plumbing of the shower in case something went wrong in the future.

I really want to win this argument by the way :LOL:

Fantastic idea, you win hands down ;)

Plumbers will love you for it. My fantasy customer has doors opening onto all the concealed plumbing, complete with strategically positioned lighting, room for a comfortable chair and an adjacent table for my bits and pieces. Ah bliss.... ;)

I have just shown this to my wife. She says women always come up with the good ideas.
Well thought out.
JonB

Great Idea. Bagsee first peek through the keyhole. :D

JonB said:
I have just shown this to my wife. She says women always come up with the good ideas.
Well thought out.
JonB

Its usually the women who insist the pipes and pumps are all covered up and totally inaccessable.

This must be the first woman to realise the advantage of complete accessibility and minimum cost and work. A carpenter/plasterer would charge about £300 to stud, board and skim an old doorway. The next plumber would have to break a hole in it to access the pipework!

I was once unusually plumbing in a WMC for a housing association and there was a contractor contemplating how he was going to knock a hole through the wall to replace a motor valve which had been fitted BEHIND a hot water cylinder. I was able to offer my condolences!

Tony

Go for it. I plan to do something similar when I get round to doing my own bathroom.

Agile said:
I was once unusually plumbing in a WMC for a housing association and there was a contractor contemplating how he was going to knock a hole through the wall to replace a motor valve which had been fitted BEHIND a hot water cylinder. I was able to offer my condolences!Tony

Out of interest, did he not contemplate removing the cylinder & re-piping thus making a little easier for the next person in?

As I said he was the heating maintenance contractor.

Their brief is to do the alsolute minimum to get the system working again.

Its so sad that the next man will have to make another hole in the wall but thats the way the system works!

Tony

Agile said:
This must be the first woman to realise the advantage of complete accessibility and minimum cost and work. A carpenter/plasterer would charge about £300 to stud, board and skim an old doorway. The next plumber would have to break a hole in it to access the pipework!

Tony

:eek: £300 I didn't realise that!!!!!

ChrisR said:
Great Idea. Bagsee first peek through the keyhole. icon_biggrin.gif

:LOL: That was already pointed out by partner !!!

Brilliant responses!! He now thinks it's a great idea :rolleyes:

Congratulations we have a
eclipsee_gold_cup.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back