Is this a reasonable list?

Steve

I have done a bit of detective work, mentioning no names.

Have e-mailed Stuart Foers and have today spoken to him and his colleagues.
Really? :eek: Did you mention my email? :LOL: You almost make it sound like you know him.

The thing is, they dont mention that they are OK with DIY unless, as you have done, you ask them in greater detail.

I can understand why they discourage DIYers, given the number of queries we get on here, people with "a little" knowledge. Add this to people who are by their nature, quite slow on the uptake, and it must create situations where multiple visits (more than 2) are nessecary to complete work. But then again isnt this what normally happens when a house is being built, or a large extension, for example?

Sponsored Links
I reckon they should encourage good DIYers and then make a few bob on the testing etc. Steve will save himself good money and do the job right. The Council won't lose anything either.

Steve

I have done a bit of detective work, mentioning no names.

Have e-mailed Stuart Foers and have today spoken to him and his colleagues.
Really? :eek: Did you mention my email? :LOL: You almost make it sound like you know him.

Don't sound so surprised!! I thought I'd try and help open up your options by clarifying the procedure with them. I did not mention your e-mail or any names. I told him I was considering purchasing a house in DN4 Bessacar on the east side or DN5 Sprotborough on the west (I have worked in both areas and have family friends who used to live in Sprotborough) and was bugeting for a rewire and needed approximate costs. I told him I was ex- self-employed with 17th Ed, but no 2391.
As such, I assumed they would want to test and inspect. They confirmed that.

I am assured by them that only two visits will be necessary.

Have now had this from Steve Warner:

Simon

I have sent an e mail to our Public Works re inspection and testing of a re wire to a four bed house. In the mean time could you provide an address for this work so that I could set up a temporary file please.
Regards

Steve Warner
Principal Building Control Surveyor
Directorate of Development
Phone : 01302 734936
Fax : 01302 734902
Mobile : 07900 057707
Address : Development and Planning
2nd Floor, Danum House
St. Sepulchre Gate
Doncaster
DN1 1UB
E-Mail: [email protected]

Sponsored Links
temporary file? so they know that the house in question is in need of a rewire and can send in the heavies if no notification is made for the property within the next few months? ( doesn't matter if you buy it or not, someone will.. )

sneaky b'stards..

Don't sound so surprised!! I thought I'd try and help open up your options by clarifying the procedure with them. I did not mention your e-mail or any names. I told him I was considering purchasing a house in DN4 Bessacar on the east side or DN5 Sprotborough on the west (I have worked in both areas and have family friends who used to live in Sprotborough) and was bugeting for a rewire and needed approximate costs. I told him I was ex- self-employed with 17th Ed, but no 2391.
Why thankyou Simon. Very Crafty of you! ;) :LOL: As it happens the house I am buying is in DN5, as is the house I am moving from (Bentley - the nice part - and Scawsby respectively).

As such, I assumed they would want to test and inspect. They confirmed that.

I am assured by them that only two visits will be necessary.
Good. I assume first and second fix. Though would this be the same for someone with no qualifications?

Have now had this from Steve Warner:

Simon

I have sent an e mail to our Public Works re inspection and testing of a re wire to a four bed house. In the mean time could you provide an address for this work so that I could set up a temporary file please.
Regards
:LOL: Have you?!

No. I told him everything's up in the air & we don't know if a house sale will go through, let alone if we'll actually complete on one in the DN area.

But I wanted a price for I&T so I could buget for it.

Good. I assume first and second fix. Though would this be the same for someone with no qualifications?

I asked him to treat me a unqualified. After all, he told me the two qualifications necessary were 17th Ed and 2391. I told him I had one, not the other. Knowing that, he treated me like a DIY'er and told me the the city works dept would do a periodic inspection and inspect first fix then come to test after 2nd fix.

Latest from Donny Council...

Thanks Simon
Could I log something against your business address?
It's just that I need somewhere to keep all these e mails and everything here is address based!
Our Public works will require £200 to carry out a first fix inspection and a complete test of any re-wire. Any further inspections would be an additional £50 all plus vat.
In reality we would loose money on this as no charge has been added for the administration involved.
We are currently in the process of re-writing our fee sheet in accordance with the new fee regulations. These, as I have mentioned earlier are risk based and I believe that you will see the majority of local authorities charging for this service should you do electrical installations in areas other than Doncaster. For your own interest look at the fee structure of Manchester and in particular with regard to electrical work.

Should you not agree with these proposals I suggest that you get in touch with [email protected] who is responsible for the Building Regulations and any guidance produced in association with them
I Hope that this is of assistance.

Steve Warner
Principal Building Control Surveyor
Directorate of Development
Phone : 01302 734936
Fax : 01302 734902
Mobile : 07900 057707
Address : Development and Planning
2nd Floor, Danum House
St. Sepulchre Gate
Doncaster
DN1 1UB
E-Mail: [email protected]

so now they're trying to scare you into paying up fast because the prices might go up? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back