Is this acceptable? (photo inside)

I think that CU is upside down

It came already built like that with the MCBs in, the bus bar fitted and neutral wired to the terminals.
look firstly ..good effort
secondly , your DB in the garage hasnt an RCD in ti by the photo , it would have a test button on it
BUT dont get down ..good effort all the same , if that switch plate hasn't got an earth terminal ..take it back ..i cant remember when MK stopped making them without ... also there are other ways to joint the neutrals such as "spliceline "which are approved BS EN

Sponsored Links
I think that CU is upside down

It came already built like that with the MCBs in, the bus bar fitted and neutral wired to the terminals.
look firstly ..good effort
secondly , your DB in the garage hasnt an RCD in ti by the photo , it would have a test button on it
BUT dont get down ..good effort all the same , if that switch plate hasn't got an earth terminal ..take it back ..i cant remember when MK stopped making them without ... also there are other ways to joint the neutrals such as "spliceline "which are approved BS EN

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I see what you mean about the RCD. Inside the house, the RCD for the shed has a test button but in the shed, what I thought was the RCD just says DP on it so I'm guessing it's just a double pole MCB? Should there be an RCD at this end too?

The whole light switch has now gone in the bin and the replacement is made by "CLICK" and has an earth on the box and on the faceplate.

I have moved the back box up the wall to give me more cable so I have plenty of slack on the earths.

I have twisted the ends and folded them over as suggested (including where the earth terminates on the faceplate)

I am now waiting for my chocolate blocks and compression glands to come.

Thanks again,

Roy.

I've just wired up this switch and was wondering if it's ok? ... I've not wired up a switch before so I hope it's ok.
It seems odd, to me, that someone who is competent to design, install, test and certify electrical installations involving CUs and new final circuits wouldn't have wired up a switch before.

They've come back to me and said that it should have an earth on it but they've just opened up another one and found the same thing.

They're sending me a suitable replacement.
It seems odd, to me, that someone who is competent to design, install, test and certify electrical installations involving CUs and new final circuits wouldn't immediately have realised that the faceplate should have an earth connection.

I see what you mean about the RCD. Inside the house, the RCD for the shed has a test button but in the shed, what I thought was the RCD just says DP on it so I'm guessing it's just a double pole MCB?
It seems odd, to me, that someone who is competent to design, install, test and certify electrical installations involving CUs and new final circuits wouldn't know the difference between a switch, and MCB and an RCD.

It's on a 13A fuse
You have a consumer unit on a 13A fuse?

Utterly bonkers.

Did you apply for Building Regulations approval before installing the CU?

Do you have the skills and equipment needed to carry out the testing?

Yes, yes, yes & yes to all the points above.
I don't believe you. There are far too many discrepancies in your story for it to have a chance of being true.

Sponsored Links
I've just wired up this switch and was wondering if it's ok? ... I've not wired up a switch before so I hope it's ok.
It seems odd, to me, that someone who is competent to design, install, test and certify electrical installations involving CUs and new final circuits wouldn't have wired up a switch before.

They've come back to me and said that it should have an earth on it but they've just opened up another one and found the same thing.

They're sending me a suitable replacement.
It seems odd, to me, that someone who is competent to design, install, test and certify electrical installations involving CUs and new final circuits wouldn't immediately have realised that the faceplate should have an earth connection.

I see what you mean about the RCD. Inside the house, the RCD for the shed has a test button but in the shed, what I thought was the RCD just says DP on it so I'm guessing it's just a double pole MCB?
It seems odd, to me, that someone who is competent to design, install, test and certify electrical installations involving CUs and new final circuits wouldn't know the difference between a switch, and MCB and an RCD.

It's on a 13A fuse
You have a consumer unit on a 13A fuse?

Utterly bonkers.

Yes, yes, yes & yes to all the points above.
I don't believe you. There are far too many discrepancies in your story for it to have a chance of being true.

Ok. It was all done by a competent, qualified electrician who designed, installed, tested and certified it. All permissions were sought and appropriate authorities notified.

But that was some time ago.

Recently some thieves broke into the shed and damaged the plastic light switch and the wiring whilst stealing items from the shed.

I wanted to replace it with something more robust but didn't want to pay someone else to do it so I did it myself but to be on the safe side, I thought I would seek advice from an internet forum.

Is that ok with you, sir?

Roy.

That's fine.

Maybe if you hadn't said 'yes' to both

and

you wouldn't have given the impression that you installed the CU.

That's fine.

Maybe if you hadn't said 'yes' to both

and

you wouldn't have given the impression that you installed the CU.

Well I apologise for misleading you with my hurried reply. My aim was simply to respond to your questions quickly to put your mind at ease.

Thanks again for all your input.

Roy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back