Is this acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of tiling our kitchen. The kitchen is half floor boards which have been overboarded with 6mm cement boards

The tiles are 120x20 rectified plank tiles

The other half is a concrete floor

Total area 3.35m width by 6.87m length

Electric underfloor heating is also being installed throughout.

We've noticed the tiler in some areas of the floor primarily on the concrete side has used up to 30mm of tile adhesive!

We questioned this and were advised it is due to the floor not being level hence why less adhesive has been used on the cement board section but more adhesive is required to bring it level on the concrete side

Is this acceptable? If not what would be the correct method to address an uneven floor?

Our concern is that given 30mm adhesive has been used will the underfloor heating still heat the floor?

Sponsored Links
The floor levels should have been sorted before any tiler was brought in or any ufh installed.

Sponsored Links
We've got another tiler in who has started to level the floor.

However we have some serious concerns with the appearance of the screend after 24 hours in some areas the floor has not dried and the fibres of the product have come up above the surface!

I have contacted Mapei and sent them over the pics attached who have advised it appears to that too much water has been added to the mix!

They cannot advise if this has compromised the integrity of the screed

The product used was mapei renovation screed 3240 Does the screed look ok or does it need to be removed and started again?

Attachments

• IMG_20200220_132019.jpg
    IMG_20200220_132019.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_20200220_132029.jpg
    IMG_20200220_132029.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20200220_132014.jpg
    IMG_20200220_132014.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 259
Self levelling looks ok to me.
Fibres showing is normal.
Never used mapei, i use bal which can go up to 80mm.
However, for unknown reasons some patches dry quicker than others.
I always leave 3 days before tiling, although I don't think it's necessary.

Self levelling looks ok to me.
Fibres showing is normal.
Never used mapei, i use bal which can go up to 80mm.
However, for unknown reasons some patches dry quicker than others.
I always leave 3 days before tiling, although I don't think it's necessary.

That's reassuring, what worried me was in some areas it has dried and also the fibres are not evenly spread across the floor

I sent the pictures to mapei who said it looks like too much water may have been used which worried me

Once this has dried, is it worth priming the floor?before putting down the underfloor heating and then followed by another layer of self leveller? Thats what the tiler is planning on doing

Don't know anything about underfloor heating.
I tempt to stick to the simplest solutions, so central heating on a combi for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back