Is this amount of condensation right for new sash windows?

The energy you use for venting your house every day would cost a lot more than £200 a year of food to compensate. So, you put in the work and still end up paying more.

To bring a room from exterior temperature to normal room temperate would probably cost 10x 50w of gas.
Your first sentence is rubbish, in more than one way. Opening a window is not much work and doesn't cost more than running a dehumidifier. I know this because I have tried and compared both methods and I keep a detailed log of my energy usage.

A 50w dehumidifier is not going to bring a room from exterior temperature to normal room temperature either, so this is not a valid argument.

Sponsored Links
Opening a window is not much work and doesn't cost more than running a dehumidifier.
You are not counting the many times you forgot if you vented or not, and so you go vent again. The stress of thinking about venting also costs energy. It often happens when people are depressed, they eat because the stress is taxing on their energy. Your extra food cost is far more than you realise.

A 50w dehumidifier is not going to bring a room from exterior temperature to normal room temperature either, so this is not a valid argument.
A 50W heater added to the room means you need 50W less from the boiler. The dehumidifier not only reduces condensation, it is also self-sustaining in terms of energy cost.

Self.sustaining in terms of energy cost??
How an earth do you work that out?

Sponsored Links
You are not counting the many times you forgot if you vented or not, and so you go vent again. The stress of thinking about venting also costs energy. It often happens when people are depressed, they eat because the stress is taxing on their energy. Your extra food cost is far more than you realise.

A 50W heater added to the room means you need 50W less from the boiler. The dehumidifier not only reduces condensation, it is also self-sustaining in terms of energy cost.
I don't need to remember if I have opened a window. The important rooms have humidity monitors which show the humidity levels in an app on my phone. I don't burn many calories looking at my phone. I don't find opening and closing windows stressful and I'm not suffering from depression. I eat similar meals now to when I had the dehumidifier running and my body weight has remained stable. Your argument seems to be getting desperate now.

A 50w heater added to a room is contributing a similar amount of heat to an old fashioned incandescent light bulb, it really isn't going to affect the temperature of the room in any way that might affect the heating required from the boiler. Did you notice a significant increase in your gas usage when you switched from incandescent lamps to LED?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back