Is this an isolation valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a pedestal washbasin fitted to replace an old one. I specifically said add isolation valves. Are these isolation valves?

If not can they be added?

Attachments

• IMG_20161201_112029.jpg
    IMG_20161201_112029.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 203
Sponsored Links
Shouldnt make a lot of difference, depends if the flexi`s are out of sight, fitting an isolation valve would give a slight bowing to the flexi, if you want the flexi`s upright then chop a section off the feed pipes, You are going to have to turn off the water supply to fit them anyway. decide then.

Sponsored Links
Shouldnt make a lot of difference, depends if the flexi`s are out of sight, fitting an isolation valve would give a slight bowing to the flexi, if you want the flexi`s upright then chop a section off the feed pipes, You are going to have to turn off the water supply to fit them anyway. decide then.

So fitting the isolation valves will be just a matter of turning off the supply, unscrewing the flexi and then screwing in an isolation valve and then screwing the flex into the isolation valve.

Flexi are out of sight behind the pedestal which is big, the top of the basin sits 90cm.

Are the taps supplied from a combo? If so when you isolate the mains open the basin and bath taps and also the kitchen sink taps that way all the remaining water in the pipework will empty into the kitchen sink and not on your bathroom floor, don't forget to close them when the pipes empty.

Your ISO valve would go in before those male irons and flexi's. The copper lower down would be cut, ISO valves would then go in there.

I'd use Pegler isolating valves rather than those quoted above. Then, with hot and cold water off:

1. Take nuts off one new valve. Measure overall length, measure amount pipe goes in each end (entry), calculate (overall length - (2 x entry length))
2. Cut calculated length from each visible piece of copper, at least 50mm below brass nuts in picture.
3. Fit isolation valves. Turn to "on" position
4. Restore hot and cold supplies and check for leaks.

Surprised nobody has commented about using the correct fittings and the dangers of tightening a flexi with a flat rubber washer to a male iron olive fitting.

Thanks everyone for your replies. This seems more than what I am capable of, I will get someone out to fit these as I can't cut a pipe as I don't have the equipment.

Surprised nobody has commented about using the correct fittings and the dangers of tightening a flexi with a flat rubber washer to a male iron olive fitting.

Depends @just pumps , if it is a male iron then it has a flat face on the 1/2" end, perfect for the rubber washer.

If it's a straight coupler, then both ends are fluted to take the olives, in those instances I file the edges down before using a flexi.

Depends @just pumps , if it is a male iron then it has a flat face on the 1/2" end, perfect for the rubber washer.

If it's a straight coupler, then both ends are fluted to take the olives, in those instances I file the edges down before using a flexi.

Oh I agree, just surprised nobody mentioned it as we know what happens when you overtighten a flat rubber washer on a fitting meant for an olive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back