is this ballast or Gravel concrete mix? I had to dig a trench and now need to fill back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per attached photos. Do you reckon this is a mix of Gravel 20mm or just ballast?

I would need to match the mix to back fill a trench.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Photos attached

Attachments

• 20200509_184135.jpg
    20200509_184135.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 20200509_184120.jpg
    20200509_184120.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 312
  • 20200509_184110.jpg
    20200509_184110.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 310
It's concrete. Concrete is either cement and ballast, or cement, sand and gravel.
Ballast is just a mix of sand and gravel. So the end result is the same. There are different strengths and mixes of concrete.

Your post doesn't help anyone to understand your problem.
If you're filling a trench with concrete, why does it need to match any other concrete.

Backfilling refers to refilling a trench with the spoil that came out of it.

Sponsored Links
It's concrete. Concrete is either cement and ballast, or cement, sand and gravel.
Ballast is just a mix of sand and gravel. So the end result is the same. There are different strengths and mixes of concrete.

Your post doesn't help anyone to understand your problem.
If you're filling a trench with concrete, why does it need to match any other concrete.

Backfilling refers to refilling a trench with the spoil that came out of it.

You may be right. I made a 200mm cut through my driveway and need to back fill the 100mm thick concrete. I was just wondering if need to buy a 20mm gravel and sand separate to match what I have on the photos or the already mix ballast will have the same result.

Hopefully this help.

Thanks

Gio,
so you have made a trench in your (say) drive.
And you want to fill this trench so that its surface matches the concrete that is already there.

Sorry to say that that is near impossible (wish it wasn't as i have an ugly 'scar' across my drive.

For my two penny's worth,
Using Ballast will fill the trench perfectly and make for a good job.
But Ballast will make a 'flat concrete' that is unlikely to match the pebble finish that you currently have.
Without experimenting (and likely still failing) buying you own pebbles and sand will make for another different surface finish and still not match what you already have.

SFK

Last edited:
Gio,
so you have made a trench in your (say) drive.
And you want to fill this trench so that its surface matches the concrete that is already there.

Sorry to say that that is near impossible.

For my two penny's worth,
Using Balast will fill the trench perfectly and make for a good job.
But Balast will make a 'flat concrete' that is unlikely to match the pebble finish that you currently have.
Without experimenting (and likely still failing) buying you own pebbles and sand will make for another different surface finish and still not match what you already have.

SFK

I agree, matching would be impossible. I may buy the ballast and add some bag of 20mm gravel to avoid the flat concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back