Is This Bloke Completely Barking.............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..........or a genius? (My money's on barking. :LOL: )

Basically, he has fitted a 250W electric towel rail element into the bottom of his hw cylinder, in the same tapping as the cold water enters. He reckons that keeping this element on 24/7 will save money, because when the normal immersion element or the boiler comes on, it won't have to heat the water in the cylinder from cold. I think the bloke in the video is, or was, a plumber.

I'm no mathematical expert, but I'm thinking he's wasted his time and money. What do the experts and mathematical geniuses on here think?

Sponsored Links
water will take the same amount of energy to heat it from temp A to temp B in the same enviroment whatever he is using, so a complete waste of time from a money saving point of view

I want to know why people don't realise that our electricity is more expensive /kw than gas, also the gas is piped from under the earth direct more or less, but electricity has to be generated by burning coal, or fossil fuel etc, a small percentage come from wind or waves or hydro. so electricity comes at much more of a cost to the nation than gas does. A couple of 100watts is really going to make a difference, NOT.

Sponsored Links
Gas is about 4.5pence/kw hour
Electricity is about 8.5 pence / kw hour
24 pence/day electricity to save naff all on gas.

He seems to have misunderstood it, as others have said. 250W for 12 hours costs the same as 3kW for 1 hour. His arrangement is probably less efficient due to conduction losses through the cold feed pipe and standing losses.

He'd have done much better by putting the money into decent insulation for that cylinder or, if it's a pre-BS cylinder, getting a modern cylinder with a decent heat exchange coil.

It always amazes me how some people are prepared to make a complete fool of themselves when their basic understanding of physics and fuel costs is so poor.

But then some read/view it and think they may be getting at something!

A tenant once complained about the cost of me charging my mobile phone in her flat when fixing her boiler. To charge a mobile phone costs about 0.01p but rather than engaging in an arguement with a moron I just made her wait an extra day to have the boiler working again. Her stupidity is probably why she was unemployed. I know that I should have been more kind towards her but she seemed to forget I need my phone charged so that people like her can call me.

Tony

A tenant once complained about the cost of me charging my mobile phone in her flat when fixing her boiler. To charge a mobile phone costs about 0.01p but rather than engaging in an arguement with a moron I just made her wait an extra day to have the boiler working again. Her stupidity is probably why she was unemployed. I know that I should have been more kind towards her but she seemed to forget I need my phone charged so that people like her can call me.

Tony

Be kind, most everyone you meet is fighting a hard batttle. (John Watson)

I would not dream of charging my mobile from a client's supply - I use an in van charger it's a bit cheeky plugging something in to a custards supply, that has no use to the work in hand !! Now my FGA?? or Battery drill battery?? now that is very diffrent!! ;)

Useless. How do they expect to save money when that element will use an extra 2200 units of electricity every year?

They have also attempted to fit an antigravity loop at the bottom of the cylinder ('tank' in their words), to prevent heated water rising into the cold storage. That idea is reasonable enough, but as it's only 2 inches high, doubtful if it will do anything at all.

I believe that you can get some revenue from Youtube videos, from the advertising income that is generated. There are some 'free energy' videos on Youtube that, despite being utter baloney, get millions of views and get lots of $$$ for the uploader.

Maybe this bloke was similarly hoping to cash in on the gullible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back