Is this boiler installation legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I was walking down a side street the other day near my workshop, I noticed this boiler installation on the flank wall of a house. Is it right that the pressure relief valve outlet as well as the condensate discharge can be released on the public pavement? Just curious - seems a bit of a bodge to me.

5A011C2F-BBEA-4916-AEF1-FEE7874BDE64.jpeg

Sponsored Links
When I was walking down a side street the other day near my workshop, I noticed this boiler installation on the flank wall of a house. Is it right that the pressure relief valve outlet as well as the condensate discharge can be released on the public pavement? Just curious - seems a bit of a bodge to me.

..and the condensate discharge - no!

Top to bottom:
The white is showing o the Flue: Manufacture won't like that.
PRV: Should have a mushroom fitting or thank to ground level: could spray out and Scaled a child.

Condense pipe: Undersized, Will freeze.
Should be run into a condense pit with lime chippins 500mm from wall under the foot path.
If in Winter the path froze and someone slipped this could be a court case.

In the midst of winter I would not Cut it off but would advice the home owner that it needed meet current regs.

Sponsored Links

View attachment 213146
It is not correct Mottie.I have asked Gassafe about it before..Unsafe gas situations are grouped into 3 categories..If I remember correctly,it is classed as "not to current standards"..But trying to make someone change it is like pushing custard up hill.

If it was my house, I’d be concerned that someone would tamper with the pressure relief outlet or snap off the plastic condensate drain or even block it up. I suppose if that condensate puddle on the pavement freezes, someone could slip over on it? I’m surprised they don’t have a Saniflo outlet there too!

There was a case in South London where a similar bodge up resulted in action by the authorities against the owner of the property after people had reported hot water coming out of the ( pressure relief ) pipe and onto the foot path.

Also. Property boundary. In theory, it may be illegal for anything to outlet on that wall as it's not their airspace. (Had that before!)!

Also. Property boundary. In theory, it may be illegal for anything to outlet on that wall as it's not their airspace. (Had that before!)!
Happens all the time..Gassafe do not give a fook...As said...someone will pay attention if someone slips because of that frozen condensate and solicitors become involved.

The condensate pipe is an utter pizz take by some freekin idiot.
I'm not a heating engineer/plumber, that's the white plastic one that stops short of the pavement, right? If yes, and putting aside the public access side of things, even a semi-competent diy'er would know that pipe needs way more support. Anyone kicking it or hitting it with something e.g. brush when sweeping up would surely snap it clean off?

I'm not a heating engineer/plumber, that's the white plastic one that stops short of the pavement, right? If yes, and putting aside the public access side of things, even a semi-competent diy'er would know that pipe needs way more support. Anyone kicking it or hitting it with something e.g. brush when sweeping up would surely snap it clean off?

It is not so much the fixing of the condensate pipe, as the fact that is illegally discharging onto a public footpath as would the potentially hot PRV. A condensate pipe should discharge into a proper soak away, or into a drain.

It is not so much the fixing of the condensate pipe, as the fact that is illegally discharging onto a public footpath as would the potentially hot PRV. A condensate pipe should discharge into a proper soak away, or into a drain.
Yeah I get that, although the finished job is far from ideal, I suppose my point is if you're going to leave it that way, at least ensure the pipe has a bracket or two down its length to provide a bit more rigidity should it be kicked or whatever.

Sponsored Links
Back