Is this compliant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased a new charger for my power tool batteries.

It's sold as being for use with UK construction site 55-0-55V supplies and is fitted with a 110V CEEform plug.

It appears to be an American charger fitted with a UK plug.

The supply flex appears to be single insulated conductors as I believe is the norm with US appliances.

Are our regulations any different for construction supplies or should the supply flex be insulated and sheathed as with 230V appliances?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hmm. I know this model is the 230V RC, presumably for the UK market and has what looks like 0.75 flat twin flex:

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/mak...-mh-7-2-18v?&gclid=CJHI6cnyq88CFcoaGwodlvwDgw

I don't believe there are any more stringent rules about tool use on site, but think it should be I & S and would say change the charger or at least the flex.

You'd like the flex to be that bit more robust on site, no?

I have looked at the US models (albeit not the RC S, but the RC) and even they have I & S flex.

Maybe that one is an Asian derivative?

The flex reminds me of the type used on a mains lead for a Sanyo ghetto blaster my sister bought in Singapore in 1981.

Last edited:
Single insulated flex is banned (apart from christmas treet lights). No BS or CE marking. Both make it illegal to sell in the UK.

Is the flex actually clamped inside the plug?

Do tell us which ebay seller or market stall you bought this from :)

A colleague has the same US charger to use with 110V site supplies. From what he was saying, Makita don't make a UK charger for this purpose. He replaced the flex with insulated and sheathed flex and stuck a 16a yellow plug on the end.

Sponsored Links
I bought a Bosch charger a few years ago from America and replaced the flex for I&S. I think that'll be the best thing for this makita charger too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back