Is this ethical & legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are buying a 1960's built house which needs complete refurbishment, decorating etc. We have also been advised by the surveyor to have the house rewired as the current wiring & consumer unit are outdated. Did the usual and contacted 4 electricians for quotes which varied from £2,500 to £5000 (3 bed semi in Kent). However one of the electrican's has said we can halve the cost :D be laying the wiring ourselves :eek: then he will come along and connect it to a new consumer unit, check all outlets and provide the relevant certification :confused: Hence the question. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
doing the wiring is pretty time consuming. he'll probably tell you what he wants where etc, ad maybe leave boards up etc so he can see. he can then do the 2nd fix. not much wrong with it, but many sparks would rather do the entire thing themselves. from a legal POV, anyone can do electrical work, but needs to meet part P (for domestic). if he's happy for you to help him, then its legal

Do you have enough knowledge of electrical systems to fully first fix a house? Personally I would never suggest this to a customer. If he is happy to let you do the work then that is ok, but it will be his name and signature on the certificate at the end of the job.

He is going to issue you with certificates, right?

Hi, thanks for your thoughts :) Will obviously need to discuss exactly what is expected of us in detail before making any committment.

One further thought, how can I check the credentials of any electricians appointed? I know you are supposed to use NICEIC electricians but what security does this give exactly? Many humble thanks in anticipation!!!!

Sponsored Links
Fionhun said:
I know you are supposed to use NICEIC electricians but what security does this give exactly?
not a lot. but at least you can complain to them and get the work fixed if its very bad.

crafty1289 said:
Fionhun said:
I know you are supposed to use NICEIC electricians but what security does this give exactly?
not a lot. but at least you can complain to them and get the work fixed if its very bad.

there isnt just the NIC, you can use anyone. just because there NIC reg'd doesnt mean there not gonna cut corners

check eca & niceic websites- they have a contractor search.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/common/contractor_search.html

http://www.eca.co.uk/

if they are on the list they have been checked out (usually in the last 12 months)

on an additional note- I would steer clear of someone who wants you to do all the donkey work and still pay. What if you fail to put a cable in properly (remember you are not qualified) where does the buck stop?

They seem to be wanting their cake and eat it.

If someone else does all the work and supplies all the stuff then they are totally liable in the event of happenings. (no buck passing)

There are five full scope certification bodies:

NICEIC
ECA
BRE CERTIFICATION
ELECSA
BSI KITEMARK

As much as the NIC would like to be the only one, they're not :LOL:

Other people can have their work certified in compliance with building regs by involving the council, if he is putting the work through his certifcation body, then he is most likely breaking their terms and conditions (but like most things, people do bend the rules*). If he is going through BC, then he can keep everything above board by having a EIC where he signs for design and Inspec + test, and you sign for construction and if the council are happy, he can't do this with self certing, because the bodies will want sigs on EICs to be him or his employees

*but he will end up signing to say he has done something he hasn't, which is not something you'll get many people to do

Thanks everyone :D Basically don't touch the guy with somebody elses greasy bargepole eh :LOL:

I guess £3500 seems about a fair price after all :(

Thanks again.

fion

I bet you wished your house was upp north, I am doing a 2 bed semi rewire in 2 weeks time for less than a third of your dearest quote :D

I'm beginning to think I should advertise down south and come home for the weekends :)

baldelectrician said:
I bet you wished your house was upp north

Tell me about it :( I'm from Newcastle originally, husband from Dumfries & Galloway and dad lives there now! He can't believe how much we pay down here. Otherhalf has even considered getting some old mates down (used to work in building trade) in a sort of Auf Wiedersien Pet thing :eek: I reckon it would cost me more in beer :LOL: :LOL:

I'm from Newcastle originally

Newcastle or in and around/near to newcastle? but either way..christ...you will be used to ecnomical prices ;) .....oh the memories of several trips to whitley bay! your not from there ru? :rolleyes:

In Newcastle. About a mile from the centre!!! Now residing in leafy Kent ....... at least the strawberries are nice :LOL:

Fionhun said:
In Newcastle. About a mile from the centre!!! Now residing in leafy Kent ....... at least the strawberries are nice :LOL:

ahh...let you off then ;) i was half way to emigrating to mexico just incase u were actually from whitley bay and id offended you ;)

not had many dealings with kent...only once playing cricket there - and i struggled like hell with the language barrier...blooming southerners ;)

baldelectrician said:
fion

I bet you wished your house was upp north, I am doing a 2 bed semi rewire in 2 weeks time for less than a third of your dearest quote :D

I'm beginning to think I should advertise down south and come home for the weekends :)

I live on the South Coast and used to work in Darlington. Terrible trek every Sunday night, and drive home on Friday. Wouldn't do it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back