Is this legal?

Sponsored Links
from a floating junction box with a washing macjine leak?

Water tight plinth area?

I would lean towards unfit for location due to incorrect IP and prevention of mutual detrimental influence (proximity of non-electrical services and other influences).
I certainly wouldn't use a reg that states there must be an escape route for water and condensation.

Sponsored Links
Anyone disagreeing the first photo is shoddy workmanship and having the outer sheath of the cable stripped back outside the enclosure does not comply with BS7671:2008?
Whats with the white cables disappearing under the floor?
What about when you want to replace the kitchen units? It means ripping out half the wiring!

Anyone disagreeing the first photo is shoddy workmanship and having the outer sheath of the cable stripped back outside the enclosure does not comply with BS7671:2008?

Not at all, it looks like the work of a kitchen fitter after a five day wonder course!

gary mo, ii honestly meant 522.3.1 and not the one below. I'm still struggling to commit to memory a select few regs. :oops:

Am following your discussion points, thanks.

So:
1. he needs to sort out the sheathing in the first picture.
2. am assuming that while it might be lowest common denominator stuff, fixing the socket boxes and isolators in cupbaords might be permissable if they are considered part of the fabric of the building
3. will it be sufficient for him to clip and tidy the cables and fix the junction box to the wall?

Or will I have to tear out my new kitchen?

Presumably he'll self certify so if/when it's all sorted who do I contact to have it approved?

Thanks

Well i consider myself an electrician and i hold the relevant qualifications to back it up. From what you have shown me in those pictures i would refer to the quality of work as '****' or a 'Bodge job'. i would very much like the opportunity to have a read through the certificate for this work so please post it .

--------------------

Swear word removed
mod 9

Under Corgi, sockets are allowed in kitchen cabinets with the exception of the cooker/hob isolator.
However this workmanship is very poor; cables must be clipped to the walls, Junction box fixed in a accessible position, cable shealthing enclosed within enclosure.

1. he needs to sort out the sheathing in the first picture.
That is a start! Judging by the quality of this doesn't really give me much confidence in what else he has done.
2. am assuming that while it might be lowest common denominator stuff, fixing the socket boxes and isolators in cupbaords might be permissable if they are considered part of the fabric of the building
Not really, an isolator imo should be readilly accessable, not hidden behind tins of baked beanz. Would be better sunk back and mounted on the wall.
3. will it be sufficient for him to clip and tidy the cables and fix the junction box to the wall?
It would be a start, but like I said before what else haven't we seen?
Presumably he'll self certify so if/when it's all sorted who do I contact to have it approved?
He should certify it and notify it to your LABC via his [competent person] scheme.

A socket outlet fixed to the wall with a hole for access does not comply - You cannot gain adequate access for test/inspection.

A socket placed correctly inside a cabinet attached to a wall complies 100%. Those who disagree are miss-informed.

As for when you come to replace the units - yes, you will need to alter thw wiring, but that is part of the course with a kitchen refurb.

I see nothing wrong at all with sockets in a cupboard. Cooker isolators etc however, must be on view.

I am not condoning the workmanship though - IT IS AWFUL! Worse than a diyer. A typical 'jack of all trades'.

Thanks - I'm sure he will want paying before he notifies the Local Authority but before I pay him I want to re-assure myself it's been completed properly. Who should I get to do that? The LA or CORGI?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back