Is this pink mould?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had the bathroom refurbished, a vent system was put in which comes on with the shower light. Soon after the shower was put in this pink colour appeared in the corners and half way up? I have tried a mixture of bleach and water to try and get rid of it and even stripped away the original sealant and put new stuff down, I used Unibond shower sealant which is supposed to be mildew resistant . when I did this I did find black mould behind it which I cleaned with bleach to try and kill it. But within days the pink colour reappeared. Firstly is it pink mould and what can I do to get rid of it?

I have uploaded images to my album.

Sponsored Links

I have never seen anything like that before that I can remember.

You must have got a very unusual type!

Tony

I`ve seen it in a commercial dish washer cabinet :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thats a really good and scary video!

So you see OP its really all your fault for leaving soap deposits for the aweful stuff to feed off!

You had better get your doctor to check you for all those possible nasty infections, particularly the penis ones!

I never thought it was mould. We get it occasionally and I always thought it was some residue/reaction between limescale and a cleaning product/.

With my missus' borderline OCD for cleaning one thing sit isn't down to is any form of neglect on that front.

Still my knob hasn't dropped off and my family are otherwise in rude health.

Blooming annoying though that pink stuff.

AFAIK it is more common in hard-water areas where the scale forms and traps soap and other deposits which mould can live on. Bleaching will temporarily kill the mould but will not remove its habitat so it will quickly recolonise.

Bathroom spray cleaners are usually formulated to remove scale and soap so should help.

the other thing that will help is reducing bathroom humidity, preferably with an effective extractor.

AFAIK it is more common in hard-water areas where the scale forms and traps soap and other deposits which mould can live on. Bleaching will temporarily kill the mould but will not remove its habitat so it will quickly recolonise.

Bathroom spray cleaners are usually formulated to remove scale and soap so should help.

the other thing that will help is reducing bathroom humidity, preferably with an effective extractor.

How can I get rid of this pink mould permanently? :unsure:

have a dry bathroom with no moisture or water in it.

It must be originating somewhere because all I ever see is the black mould which seems universal!

When I do come across the pink mould I will run away because I dont want my bits dropping off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back