Is this Socket Extension OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we've way too many extension leads charging and running our ever increasing electronic items so today is the day im adding a couple of new sockets. I just have a couple of questions if anyone could answer -

Looking at the pic included, this is the downstairs (living room) ring. Currently 4 sockets connected as shown. What I want to do is add Socket 5 and Socket 6 to the ring main......would the dotted lines be the way to do this?

Its probably a stupid question but Id prefer to check before doing anything. I could also spare off both new sockets but Socket 5 is going to be a double socket with USB chargers and Socket 6 will always be used heavily so im unsure if I can do this.

Thanks in advance, hopefully ive got it right.

Attachments

• sockets.jpg
    sockets.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 604
Sponsored Links
Actually looking at it properly now its drawn out, I guess I should put the extra sockets in prior to the actual sockets that are there now (i'll do a pic to show what i mean). The only trouble is I dont know which brown and blue wire goes to the living room sockets and which comes from the kitchen sockets if that makes sense?

It is correct but not really worth extending the ring circuit.
You will have to have joints in the limited space.

Just make spurs - one cable from existing sockets to new - 2 to 6 and 1 to 5.

Hi mate, thanks for your reply. I can crack on with it now, spurs it is! I always over complicate things and definitely lack common sense, hence why I have to ask on here all of the time lol

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
socket new 2.jpg
Hi mate, changing the single to a double is on my list but I just didnt want to include it here to complicate things further lol

Ive now just been out and bought most of the things I need but ive just remembered why I wanted to add Socket 5 to the ring main. At the moment as the pic there is only 1 double socket, I do want another double socket there too aswell as the proposed socket 5 so in total there would be 7 sockets. (pic included) Would I have to go ahead with the way I showed in the original pic for socket 5, the extending of the ring main there? (obv still spuring off socket 2 for socket 6) Or is there a better way to do it? Unfortunately the socket in question there are 2 brown and 2 blue wires....I dont know which goes towards socket 2 or which comes from the kitchen/fuse box orelse I'ld just add a double socket prior to the spur in the ring main if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Yes, if you want more than one extra socket from an existing one then you will have to extend the ring, at least to the first (or penultimate if more than two).

Or limit the current to all with a 13A Fused connection unit.

It is correct but not really worth extending the ring circuit.
You will have to have joints in the limited space.

Just make spurs - one cable from existing sockets to new - 2 to 6 and 1 to 5.
His drawings do not show the ring being extended - just sockets spurred off using two cables.

I'm particularly concerned about the 2nd attempt:

screenshot_777.jpg

None of the existing cables are being shown as moved to the new sockets, so the ring is NOT being extended, #5 and #6 are spurs, and #7 is a spur from a spur.

I'm not at all sure that tigers understands how a ring is wired.

I thought they were just a rough drawing to show the layout.
(Two browns and two blues together)
However, you may be right but, either way, my replies were correct.

If they were misunderstood, and four cables in each terminal is considered to be a ring then, at least, it will be safe as far as CCC is concerned.

Hi all,

Sorry ive just gotten round to checking this again....as yet I still havent touched anything but will be tomorrow, hopefully lol. Yeah your totally right ban-all-sheds, im far from a sparky but i really dont think this is above my capabilities...........time will tell though lol

Yeah EFLImpudence is right, the dotted lines are the actual proposed cables, 2 of each blue and brown. I figured this would be the easiest (albeit ass about face) way of adding socket 5 to the ring. 2 in and 2 out? Then Socket 7 could be spurred off either socket 1 or 5 as theyre both in the ring? I did post a diagram of what I suspected was the correct way of adding socket 5 but its no use really, I dont know which of the 2 blues and 2 browns behind Socket 1 go to the fuse box or which go to socket 2. Ive included this diagram to show you what I mean lol The purple lines go to the unidentified wires.

Thanks again for the replies and any help. I think I do understand how a ring is wired, I just think I.......... 1 - struggle to explain what I mean and 2........lack common sense lol :)

E2A - As before unlike on this diagram, Socket 6 will now just be spurred off socket 2......with 1 cable

Attachments

• sockets 3.jpg
    sockets 3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Here we go, a new revised ring (or not lol) If theres a way I can identify the brown and blue wires behind Socket 1 I would do that...any other options will be greatly received! :)

Attachments

• socket new 2.jpg
    socket new 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,013
His drawings do not show the ring being extended - just sockets spurred off using two cables.

I will say the drawing is supposed to show 2 blues and 2 browns which I thought would add the socket to the ring (in an ass about face way) and the second diagram which you are particularly concerned about.....dont be, i know enough not to add a spur to a spur. I just spurred it off the new socket as I assumed the new socket would be part of the ring. Hopefully the diagram ive just posted clears this up. Thanks again for your reply mate

E2A - aarrgghhh now im all confused lol

No your new diagram is no better.

I have attached a diagram of what you want to do to maintain the ring. The red circles indicate where you would need to either pull new legs in from socket 3->6 and 2->5, or if you can't do this, you will need to join those cables in the boxes indicated by the circles, using crimps, connector blocks etc.

If you're not happy doing that, then personally, I'd get someone in. Your understanding of a ring is already somewhat concerning, but I suspect you may be overthinking it.

Just spend a quick 15 minutes reading about ring final circuits, and it will all make a lot more sense to you. One in, one out.

And I promise you, in your diagram, there is no way you are getting 5 x 2.5mm² into socket 5.

screenshot_777.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back