Is this spur idea sensible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add an extractor fan in a utility room. I cocked up and forgot to get the wiring done early on. To save ripping plastered walls down I wondered if the following was OK....

There's a double socket in a handy place in the utilty room. It's on the ring main that serves the kitchen and utility so not a spur. This socket already has a spur running from it (for washing machine - has switch above the worktop and socket below). I can (with a bit of trial and error( get another cable into the metal box which would allow me to get another spur from this socket. I guess the question is then: is it ok to have two spurs running from one socket? The new (second one) would be the switched fused spur to serve the new extractor fan that I forgot about! Doh :(

Sponsored Links
Interesting......

Just had a yarn with a local electrician. He reckoned it was probably OK but his approach is to use the area in the socket metal box (if there's enough room) as a junction box area and use three 3-way WAGO connectors. So the standard 2 wires into the socket (ring in and out), the ring out then goes into the wago connectors and onward. We now have three emply terminals in the wagos for the spur to feed the extractor fan and can spur from the socket as usual. He reckons these wago jobbies are the dogs. Dunno.

Only used WAGO's on lighting.

He has to use the 773-173 or 222-413. The others are less than 32A.

As long as there's plenty of depth, should be OK.

Sponsored Links
I would guess because of the problem with four wires in one hole the spur is limited to one per device be that socket or FCU.

I would be looking at the back box and considering replacing it with a duel back box you can then have a single socket and FCU as part of the ring with then two spurs.

Gents,

There's a boat load of depth in the metal boxes so no problem on that score. The chap I spoke to said that the main reason he recommended the JB'ing in the back of the socket was (as per one of your comments below) to avoid having four wires into each of the socket terminal - he reckoned that was probably pusing it a bit too far. He said that he wasn't aware of any regulation against having two spurs out of a single socket BUT he did say that this might not be true if the spurs were not fused. That's a simple fix for me as I can just ensure that BOTH of them are fused.

If I understand correctly and they are to be put behind the socket...

...why bother with the Wagos?

Yes, wago's inside the metal box where you'd usually wire into the terminals of the socket. I guess any type of insulated connector block would do the job, looking at the wago's they do look sensible.

So would I. Mos't sockets will take 4 x 2.5mm², and if the one there doesn't swap it to MK and you're good to go.

I think I'm just old fashioned, but I don't get what's so good about these wago connectors. It certainly isn't the pricetag.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back