Is this suitable for drilling a hole for a tumbledryer pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm upgrading the kitchen tumbledryer and want to fit a vented tumbledryer. The tube will be going through the wall to the back garden.

Normally I'd pay someone to do it for me, but it's not hard and I figure I can do it myself easy enough with the right tools. The only question mark is the tool.
I know you need a Core drill bit set and was wondering if this would be suitable for a 4" pipe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Tct-Core-Drill-Kit/dp/B000LFY4Q0

Metal.jpg

The reason I ask is I notice the more expensive models have deeper bits, so would that set be enough to the cut through the bricks or am I better investing more money in this kit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Diamond-Core-Drill-Kit/dp/B000LFW46M

Diamond.jpg

Any ideas? Bare in mind I only need this kit for the one job as it stands so if the first kit will do then this makes more sense being half the price.

Sponsored Links
silverline tools are absolute tat. their cheapness is matched only by their longevity.

yes they could substitute the c in tct for an a! :LOL:

lol ok, but remember I only need to drill one hole.

I think I might do it the other way anyhow and buy an SDS drill and bits and chisel it out.

Thanks though :)

Sponsored Links
As well as the core drill you need a powerful drill with a clutch in it to do the job without the risk of breaking your wrist. For one hole just hire them.

The first one seems to be a TCT core and not a diamond one. It will be OK for one or two holes

Can't you find a cheaper single core bit either online or locally?

Our local tool shop does the 110mm TCT core bits for about £17

A long SDS bit and that cheap as chips Titan SDS breaker/drill from screwfix and you will go through double skin brick wall in no time. Just mark a centre hole then a circle round that then punch your way through using the long SDS bit. You'll be done in no time. Once you're done you can reuse that SDS for other jobs round the house rather that forking out for a one off...

I recentlly made a hole in a wall for a cat flap, marked the hole up, then drilled around the edge at 1cm intervals, couple of taps with a chisel and I was left with a decent looking hole.

I could have bought a hole cutter but its a bit of a waste of money, I've used them in the past, the results are fantastic but if the hole is going to be hidden does it really matter that much.

moo - one hole = hire all the tackle ... it's a no-brainer! Also the stuff you get will be up-to-the-job.

Id expect £50 would get you everything you need for a day Local hire firms often a bit cheaper than the big ones. If not, HSS usually pretty helpfull :D

£50 !!!
£50 !!!

OMG!

As a DIY'r I'd be for drilling individual holes and a bit of chiselling, even in my 18" walls before I spent £50 on something for a single hole.

:D

matty - I share your view about the philosophical thrust of DIYing ... low costs, ego boosting, etc. But moo was planning on buying the tackle and for one hole that would have contradicted the DIY ethic; he also didn't have an SDS drill. So the hire advice was fair.

I hired one and found it very easy. So as well as drilling the hole for my tumble drier, I also did one for an high vent in the utility room, one for the downstairs shower, and one in a workroom where I might put a tumble drier one day.

Easy peasy and all done with a single day's hire. Much easier and neater than stitching little holes and wearing myself out with a big hammer.

try drilling into Staffy blues.:cool:

it is easier to drill out the joints, remove a pattern of bricks wholesale, fit the flue/vent/tube, then brick it back in.

hole cutters are all right for Southern softie bricks. ;)

I've core drilled Staffy blues, didn't take that long ? But I concurr, Silverline tools are dreadful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back