Is this UK compliant?

Sponsored Links
The socket, on its own is not compliant. you must combine it with the isolating transformer shopwn on the info. There is no requirement to have dual voltage.

So - and please forgive my ignorance - with the transformer what socket would we end up with?

ie if normal dual sockets are 115v and 230v what would this socket be?

230v

EDIT

The 'regular' dual output shaver points provide 110 OR 230v, you cannot use both at the same time.

Sponsored Links
I don't see why not, all other things being equal (which they aren't in this case...). British shaver plugs to BS 4573 aren't quite the same size as Europlugs.

British 5mm Dia Pins on 16.6mm Pitch (230V Socket) to BS 4573: 1970.
European 4mm Dia. Pins on 17 to 19mm Pitch (230V Socket) to IEC 83: 1975 Standard C5.

UK law allows shavers etc to be supplied with either BS 4573 plugs or Europlugs. Therefore if this socket doesn't take BS plugs it might not accept your shaver or toothbrush.

UK shaver sockets don't have to be dual voltage and many aren't; it's just that having to incorporate a transformer anyway means that dual voltage costs very little extra to include, and is desirable for American visitors to hotels who bring their own shavers with them which aren't (or weren't, years ago) dual-voltage.

If you really want you can get non-transformer shaver sockets on BS faceplates intended for bedrooms etc.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Products/WD/logicplus/shaversocketoutlets/Pages/K700WHI.aspx

You could possibly use one of those in conjunction with the isolating transformer if your aim is to avoid a bulky transformer-socket in the bathroom.

To comply with the Wiring Regulations shaver outlets have to comply with BS EN 61558-2-5, and that one does not appear to.

Also, being of German persuasion it might be designed to accept CEE 7/16 Europlugs and not BS 4573 / IEC 60884-1 shaver plugs.

And it won't fit a standard UK back box, so how will you fix it into the wall?

Outlets do not have to be dual voltage.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

My issue is Im trying to find a light to go at the side of a mirror in a bathroom. Space is tight and theres no room above the mirror.

Ideally its a light with a built in shaver socket and pull switch. However I cannot find one that either isnt much too bulky or doesnt have a switch or socket!

If I have to have a separate socket Im trying to minimise the size of that.....

To comply with the Wiring Regulations shaver outlets have to comply with BS EN 61558-2-5, and that one does not appear to.

I agree. To provide the full requirements, I would have expected the isolation transformer to be earthed. As far as I can see there is only a 2-core cable on both the primary and the secondary.

However I cannot find one that either isnt much too bulky
Too bulky in which direction? There are lots of shaver lights which wouldn't be as wide as that socket, but they are all, of course, surface mounted. Is that what you meant?

If I have to have a separate socket Im trying to minimise the size of that.....
Buy a cordless shaver and charge it somewhere else.

Surface mounted is fine.

It needs to go on the wall to the side of the mirror but I only have 150mm between the edge of the mirror and a door architrave so cant be any wider than that.

Height isnt an issue.

If youve got any links theyd be much appreciated - the only one I found is this one

http://www.leds-c4.com/en/catalogos/referencia_lampara/05-1411-21-F9.html

but checking with Led - C4 it isnt a shaver socket but a European two pin mains socket so cant be used

Thanks but the vast majority of those are designed to go above the mirror.

If you rotated them through 90 degrees it would mean the pull switch wouldn't work (or you'd have to pull it sideways....)

Or am I missing something?

Sadly I think that's the kind of look my wife would have an issue with.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back