Is this unvented cylinder a goner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Pretty sure I know the answer, but I presume this means the cylinder is done with and needs replacing? There is a small amount of water coming out when the hot water is on (it's system water not the hot water).

The dent was there when we moved in and appears to have been done before or during install, looks to me it's the reason for the failure?

upload_2020-8-18_10-25-46.png

I'm struggling to find a G3 engineer at the moment, is there a register to look someone up?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Ok so shoot me down for mentioning the BG words, but my daughter has an unvented cylinder and British gas service that OK.
As a BG fitter I went on courses donkeys years ago to qualify, saw some pretty impressive videos on what happens if things do go wrong! I reckon they would be able to help not the cheapest but at least you have come backs if a new one leaks unlike picking a fitter at random.;)

Sponsored Links
I've managed to find someone with good reviews thankyou. Gas safe does actually list unvented if you have it (just almost all of the local ones don't).

Next I imagine is to sit down and take a deep breath for the cost :cautious:

I've managed to find someone with good reviews thankyou. Gas safe does actually list unvented if you have it (just almost all of the local ones don't).

Next I imagine is to sit down and take a deep breath for the cost :cautious:
A RGI can have G3 without it showing on the gas safe website, any ACS additions are notified automatically but G3 you have to notify Gas safe yourself for it to be added , most dont bother

Post a pic of the top...it may just be the top connection leaking and the water's run over the insulation corroding the steel outer jacket (that's only there for appearance).

Be careful some unvented stainless can rot through, next thing you can have a massive flood if your cylinder manufacturer begins with O swap it as fast as you can !!!!

Especially if it hasn't been serviced recently and it has an internal expansion bubble !

Post a pic of the top...it may just be the top connection leaking and the water's run over the insulation corroding the steel outer jacket (that's only there for appearance).

Deffo leaking from the join. The top connection is sound.

Be careful some unvented stainless can rot through, next thing you can have a massive flood if your cylinder manufacturer begins with O swap it as fast as you can !!!!

Especially if it hasn't been serviced recently and it has an internal expansion bubble !

Engineer is coming tomorrow to look at it. It's definitely rusted, checking it over it's rusty at the bottom too in quite a few places.

Funnily enough it is an OSO, I take it they are known for this then? It does have an internal bubble. Last time it was checked it was ok and everything has been working fine as far as I know (no expert though!)

Looking at the photo, it's had a good dink put in it, directly above the leak, at some time in the (recent?) past!

Looking at the photo, it's had a good dink put in it, directly above the leak, at some time in the (recent?) past!

It was there when we moved in 5 years ago. It's about 12 years old. I suspect it was done before fitting or by the installers as there's a few other dents that wouldn't have been done by a householder owing to where they are. Easy to get away with I suppose as it'll last long enough to not come back to haunt you. The installer is no longer in business. Not much of a surprise lol

The dent is in the outer casing.....and would have little effect on the inner tank. In fact many of us happily screw our pipe clips into the outer shell.
If the top connection really is sound then the inner tank has probably failed.

2004.jpg

I am one who screws backplates into a UV:).

That dink/crease in the outer skin has obviously created an escape route for an inner leak (y)

The dent is in the outer casing.....and would have little effect on the inner tank. In fact many of us happily screw our pipe clips into the outer shell.
If the top connection really is sound then the inner tank has probably failed.

2004.jpg

That's a perfect cutaway to show the cross-section... Good find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back