Is this unvented cylinder a goner?

Thanks guys, interesting info. It's sounding like it needs to be replaced, see what the guy thinks, perhaps a warranty claim isn't that far fetched now I've seen what they look like internally.

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of the top...it may just be the top connection leaking and the water's run over the insulation corroding the steel outer jacket (that's only there for appearance).

Sorry, you were right, thought it was dry this morning when I checked it but the hot water has been on and the top connection is manky and wet. As the water is rusty coloured it could be the stub that's at fault or it could be the casing I suppose? Are these top connectors replaceable? The water must be running around the insulation and finding multiple routes out hence it looking like it's rusted in lots of places.

upload_2020-8-18_20-55-6.png

Last edited:
Don't run that & isolate the mains water to it too and run the hot tap til it stops :eek: That's been doing that for not a considerable number of days to rust to that point.

If that goes then you'll know about it oh and there'll be a heck of a lot of water everywhere!

If that's been soldered, looks like it, probably been done in situ and flux could have got to it too

Sponsored Links
Don't run that & isolate the mains water to it too and run the hot tap til it stops :eek: That's been doing that for not a considerable number of days to rust to that point.

If that goes then you'll know about it oh and there'll be a heck of a lot of water everywhere!

If that's been soldered, looks like it, probably been done in situ and flux could have got to it too

Blimey, thanks. I've isolated etc

It was dry this morning but I didn't take the insulation off, naivety as to how these things are put together! Given it's in a room we don't really have a need to go in, it was a fluke I spotted it at all as I was fitting a new radiator yesterday otherwise we'd probably never know until we had water everywhere.

It looks like the pipe has been soldered into the bit screwed into the top of the cylinder, it looks a right mess to be honest.

I'll update tomorrow when the eng. has been.

The engineer has been and resolved the issue.

Turns out the original fitters thought it was a good idea to solder the elbow to the draw off pipe which isn't copper. Apparently OSO even provide a compression fitting for this which was obviously thrown away. It was always going to fail given what I was shown when it was taken off.

Thanks everyone for your input and help. Happy it was minimal cost and the tank didn't need to be replaced. Panic over lol

Got an after picture..soldering copper to stainless, how has it stayed on for this long?

Got an after picture..soldering copper to stainless, how has it stayed on for this long?

Quite. Not the best job on the world. The copper in parts looked like it had been annealed as they must have had to heat it for ages to get it to somehow take. Thankfully everything else is in order.

Picture is a bit blurry but the whole section of pipe has been replaced and a compression to the draw off. I just need to clean it/remove the dirt/stains etc

upload_2020-8-19_17-34-33.png

Jeez... It ain't rocket science. Who the fu¢k did it like that?
That's why MI's are the fitters' version of the 10 commandments!

Jeez... It ain't rocket science. Who the fu¢k did it like that?
That's why MI's are the fitters' version of the 10 commandments!

Apparently their reputation precedes them. Can't think why! Craziest thing is it managed 12 years!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back