Isolation switch for Dishwasher in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could confirm something for me.
im fitting a kitchen at the mo in an extension I had built and someone has told me that the spark should have installed an isolation switch above the worktop for the plug socket going to to the dishwasher.
I have an the kitchen on a separate ring and is RCD protected.
Is that correct?
If so I can get it sorted out before I start tiling.

Hope that makes sense, if my terminology is out of wack its because I know little about household electrics.

Sponsored Links
The dishwasher, and all appliances, should have an accessible point of isolation. If the socket is behind the DW, then there should be a spur switch for it.

this is very important, if the DW or any other app develops an earth fault (and they can) you're gonna wanna switch everything off to isolate the faulty app and re-set the RCD without pulling everything out.

Same is true if the fuse goes and(if) it is behind the dishwasher.

Also makes it very difficult to do PAT testing. If u decide to rent at some time...

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps your replys are much appreciated.

The switch is not directly behind the dishwasher but just to the left on the wall accessible through a hold in the cupboard.
Is it still a requirement to put a spur switch in?

Looks like im trying to get out of some work and save some money and in all honesty I am, but if you chaps say its better done then not then I will just have to do it. I would like to give the sparky a call and have some second opinions as back up, when I tell him it's not going to pass how his done it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back