Issue with Mid Position Actuator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I've been having some issues with my Hot Water and Central Heating for a while now and we've had a plumber out twice who seems to fix the problem we were having at the time but then another issue arises soon later. So I was wondering if anyone could advise me to what the actual problem may be?

My Mid Position Actuator is a Drayton MA1 and my Timer is a HoneyWell C21.

At rest the lever of my Mid Position Actuator sits at H.
NoneTimer.JPG
NoneAct.JPG

I then turn on just the water, this leaves the lever in the H position.
HWTimer.JPG
HWAct.JPG

Then turning on both (CH and HW) moves the lever to M.
HWCHTimer.JPG
HWCHAct.JPG

Then turning off the HW doesnt move the lever at all, leaving it at the M position. This also turns off the boiler (The boiler only comes on when HW is turned on).
CHTimer.JPG
CHAct.JPG

Turning the Heating off, then returns the lever back to its original position of H. No matter what I try, I cant seem to get the lever to the W position, which means that when I turn the hot water on at the timer, the radiators all heat up. I'm assuming there's some wiring issue or something here or a faulty part? I don't know which part though and I'd very much like to know before I get anyone in to look at this issue.

Hope someone can help me.
Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
So what would you suggest? Get the entire system looked at by someone? An electrian or a plumber?

As for it being upside down, I'm pretty sure that's just the awful angle I had to get my camera in to take the picture =)

Sponsored Links
give us a pic of inside the wiring centre so we can see the wires from the valve.
is a wiring issue.

thats the valve not the wiring centre! Follow the cable from the valve to where it goes, should hoepfully go to a wiring box. picture of that.

There may be coulple of problems.

Turn power off at the isolator. The lever should restore to W, which is HW zone. This is the position valve will stay at when only HW is heated. Switching of boiler is under sontrol of cylinder thermostat if the timer is active for duration of HW heat demand.

If during this period, Heating kicks in, voltage on white wire will move the valve to midposition with cylinder thermostat maintaining power to boiler.

If HW comes to temperature and cylinderstat switches off or HW timer switches off, voltage on grey wire will drive the valve to H position and orange wires goes live to keep the boiler running.

You want to check if grey wire is live during CH demand only

Sorry, my mistake with the last photographs. Plumbing isn't really my strong point, especially when it comes to what each of the parts are called.

I don't have the tools at the moment to test if the Grey wire is live, so hopefully the issue can be spotted from the images below, if not, I'll have to go get some tools to test your theories (DP).

Good luck deciphering this.

wiring4.JPG

wiring5.JPG

wiring6.JPG

wiring7.JPG

wiring8.JPG

Got my multi meter now. Sorry for the delay, toolbox wasn't at home.

What do I need to test?

i would start by checking the ch/hw both off at the programmer

see what v reading you get on the grey - orange - white. terminals.

do you know what cable comes from your programmer ?

you say your valve sits at H with no call for hw/ch.
you've just tested the grey with no reading.

for the valve to hold in H position you would need power on the grey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back