istor boiler - advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the dreaded L-F fault on my Ideal Istor boiler. I have unblocked the condense s trap that did have quite a bit of crap inside and put all back together. The fault still remains. I have read the service manual which said to check the voltage at the gas valve which should be between 150 - 200vDC. The first time I checked I had 120v AC. I checked again a few days later and now it fluctuates all over the place from 90v - 140v whether my tester is set to AC or DC.
For those out there who have more knowledge on these boilers, would it be safe to say that I need a new PCB and how much are they?
I have also noticed some sticky brown stuff that looks like it may have come out of the honeywell unit.
I noticed someone mentioned that when you unblock the s trap you should check for a blockage where it drains away. Where does it drain away? - I can only just reach the pipe to disconnect and reconnect it let alone see where it goes.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the joys of "Ideal" boiler ownership. :LOL:

possibility of water in gas valve disconnect the rubber hose to valve and see if any water in it. Take combustion cover then sump plate and pour water down to make sure it runs away. Biggest problems with these are poorly fitted condense pipes which backs up and causes problems.

oh and dangermouse nice of you to help the OP with your Great Sarcastic advice.
If you having nothing good or constructive to say don't waste time typing it out. I look in here most days and tbh there are just as many queries if not more about other makes than ideal. It gets a bit weary with certain posters having a go at certain makes. We all have our own preferences and prejudices but you don't need to ram it down others throats constantly.

Sponsored Links
shambolic wake up and smell the coffee, Ideal make the worst boilers on the market and their reliablity is embaressing. Without warmfront and cheapskate builders you'd be bankrupt.

oh and dangermouse nice of you to help the OP with your Great Sarcastic advice.
If you having nothing good or constructive to say don't waste time typing it out. I look in here most days and tbh there are just as many queries if not more about other makes than ideal. It gets a bit weary with certain posters having a go at certain makes. We all have our own preferences and prejudices but you don't need to ram it down others throats constantly.

Fair Point shambolic, We do all have our own preferences on the best boiler and the ones that will hopefully give us the least problems in its lifetime, but you have to agree the last half decent boiler ideal knocked out was the classic, an i ain talking the HE either. An as regards the istor pile of poo, a friend and former work collegue now rinses money each week working for warmsure due to high number of calls he attends. Wots more how can said company now not offer fixed price repair on this boiler as they Know how problematic it is! Thats from the engineers mouth on my last visit to on :evil: Im curently in the middle of a six week wait on a part from them, that they claim dont even exsit. I've had to email pictures for god sake.. Damn good boiler :rolleyes:

ideal, say no more, they ear that gud our company wont take the boilers on contract, u probably av to change the board soon or l8er, apperently the fans to cause the boards to burn out from to much resistance,

No Ideals on my patch...all the local merchants had good sense and stopped dealing with the company many years ago after the Response fiasco :D

Loads of ideals in my area. Although they prove very unreliable in the main, a lot of the faults are actually down to poor installation or lack of servicing.

Customers MUST be told they HAVE to have the annual service. I usually recommend they take out the ideal service contract, but keep the annual service for myself.

Thanks for everyones opinions on these boilers makes me feel alot better :(
I think I will be taking out some sort of insurance for it when it ever gets fixed as I am renting out the property soon.
I will check the gas valve for water, or is that a job for Mr CORGI?
Is it still safe to say the PCB is u/s? If so how much does one cost?

Cheers

Ash

Ash, l have had the same bolLer, fltted free, for three yrs now, had one problem, after about 8 months the dlverter valve had to be changed, and beLleve me, for undlsclosed reasons, l run thls bolLer 24 rs a day. lt ls never off, l run at 23 degrees, wlth wlndows open :!:

pcb 150-200 depending where you get it. you can remove the blue tube as it's only pushed on and won't leak gas etc.

the isar, icos and istor have 1 or 20 known problems ;)

unfortunately near me loads of houses have been built and many have ideals in and they're no end of trouble. within the first year it's not unheard of for them to have already been through more than 1 pcb, fan, gas valve or a heat exchanger. some have even had whole new boilers fitted as they've been that unreliable within that first year!

in a local merchants the other day talking to an engineer who works for a housing group he was joking about how busy he is repairing the ideals his company are fitting!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back