It's an invasion and it's going to get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similarly to Vietnam, if the west keeps out the whole mess would be over in a couple of months. All the west intervention achieves is a bigger mess going on for a longer time creating greater divides.

But have these people not been slaughtering each other over minor religious points long before the West even discovered their region? I get the impression that you believe that the West is responsible for these people killing each other for whatever reason they feel fit..

Sponsored Links
But have these people not been slaughtering each other over minor religious points long before the West even discovered their region? I get the impression that you believe that the West is responsible for these people killing each other for whatever reason they feel fit..
They were kept in order by dictators, which 'we' now keep wanting to get rid of.

Arming them in turn doesn't help.

Surely something else is really going on, though.

They were kept in order by dictators, which 'we' now keep wanting to get rid of.

Arming them in turn doesn't help.

Surely something else is really going on, though.
I have never advocated getting rid of their dictators. Some people need to live under a dictatorship but my opinions really aren't worth Jack. There will always be someone willing to sell arms, if not the West, then Russia or China. I have no doubt that something is going on but if I was to share my suspicions then there will be folk here who will go getting all upset based on the direction that some threads have gone in the past

Sponsored Links
Similarly to Vietnam, if the west keeps out the whole mess would be over in a couple of months. All the west intervention achieves is a bigger mess going on for a longer time creating greater divides.

The west is responsible for giving them hope that they should rebel and things will be hunky dory in a western political system. After all democracy is the most important thing. Even if your country has no concept of it. We know best.

The Arab Spring was about politics not religion.
The initial demonstration by the people in Syria was a peaceful demonstration. Assad used force to quell the demonstration so USA demanded his abdication despite his agreeing to democratic elections and other reforms.
When he didn't abdicate US started arming, supplying and supporting the demonstrators, (of course that was good for the US economy as well, but that's being cynical) and it all spiraled out of control.

Assad would easily have prevented and defeated the rise of daesh without the interference of the west.
Of course Assad's hard line towards Israel had nothing to do with it.

Assad killed (from March to May 2011, the timeline before civil war really started) about 1,000 protesters.
Since, due to the support of the anti-government rebels by Saudi, USA and other western nations, there are about 250,000 dead (figures suggest somewhere between 150,000 and 350,000) and more than 11,000,000 displaced. The population that remains is basically homeless and starving to death. And there's no end in sight. It's even difficult to imagine what the end result will be.

Saudi is Sunni and many of the rebels are Sunni.
Assad is Shia as is Iran and Lebanon. But Russia is not even Muslim.
Daesh is mainly Wahhabism, which is an extreme form of Sunni, yet daesh (extreme form of Sunni) and other rebels are also fighting each other.

It's about power and control, not about religion. So do not try to confuse the situation by blaming Muslims or Islam.

Similarly, there were no Al Qaeda in Iraq until Saddam was no more.

The interference by US and other western countries is claimed to be about democracy, and I could be cynical and ask is democracy worth the cost, except that's it's not really about democracy. It's about power, control, influence and who's acceptable and who isn't.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that something is going on but if I was to share my suspicions then there will be folk here who will go getting all upset based on the direction that some threads have gone in the past
Isn't it funny how some will use their favourite prejudice to lay blame.
Crisis in the middle east is close enough to home to affect us, whereas other conflicts further afield do not necessarily directly affect us. However they have absolutely nothing to do with Islam or Muslims.
For instance, The Lords Resistance Army in Central Africa, we can't blame that on Islam. The Farc rebels in South America, we can't blame that on Islam. The crisis in Ukraine, we can't blame that on Islam, the ongoing violence in Burma (Myanmar), Philipines, and so the list goes on.
So stop using your favourite prejudices to lay blame and further your own political agenda.

It's about power and control, not about religion. So do not try to confuse the situation by blaming Muslims or Islam.
Wow, where have I tried to blame Muslims? You seem to default to anyone who disagrees with you is blaming them, that's a bit fanatical.

Organised religion is all about power and control. lets not pretend that it is about love and peace and understanding.

I wonder who you mean by "these people"

The people who are killing each other perhaps? If the cap fits and all that..Perhaps you guys could tell us who they are

But have these people not been slaughtering each other over minor religious points long before the West even discovered their region?
Wow, where have I tried to blame Muslims? You seem to default to anyone who disagrees with you is blaming them, that's a bit fanatical.
Perhaps you can enlighten us. As John asks:
And while you're at it, and when you've decided to whom you're referring, perhaps you can substantiate your statement: "these people have been slaughtering each other over minor religious points long before the west discovered their region."
You obviously laid the blame firmly on religion. Which religion would you be referring to? Which is the dominant religion of the region?

Incidentally, if the birth of humanity was Africa, and the birth of civilisation (biblically speaking) was middle east, didn't the middle east discover the west rather than t'other way round as you've inferred.

Last edited:
The people who are killing each other perhaps? If the cap fits and all that..Perhaps you guys could tell us who they are
Do you mean the Irish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back