It's my DIYnot return!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!!!

Just thought I'd drop a line to say I'm back on line....

Some of you will know that I had problems earlier in the year which ultimately resulted in losing my job and having to move out of my flat. Grantham being a very small town, I struggled to find alternative employment and commuting was made impossible by not having a driving license any longer.

The resulting money issues meant that internet access was a luxury I could ill-afford, and then the rows over finances caused Nigel and I to split. All in all, by August I was at a pretty low ebb.

However, things are much, much brighter now!

Some friends of mine in Brighton invited me down for a few days break, and whilst with them I applied for a couple of jobs locally. I was offered a position almost straight away, and my friends very kindly loaned me the cash for a rental deposit.

I now live in a lovely flat with a sea view, and have been in my new job for 2 weeks and loving every minute. Everywhere in the city is within walking distance so not driving is no longer a problem!

Just goes to show, there IS light at the end of the tunnel - I'm back on track, back on line and looking forward to you all telling me what fantastic debates I've missed on here while I've been away!

Cheers,
Simon :)

Sponsored Links
ninebob said:
Grantham being a very small town,

"Run away, turn away, run away, turn away"... ;)

Is there a law that says heterosexual guys can't listen to Bronski Beat? :LOL:

Good to see you back Simon! The Dell monitor finally showed up after a month or so, you'll be pleased to hear.

What's the new job?

AdamW said:
What's the new job?

Just an admin position for AXA PPP healthcare, paperwork and phones essentially, but I'm enjoying it so far. And they always say "it's easier to find a job when you're in one", so I'm going to keep my ear to the ground in case any opportunity comes up for getting back into my preferred career of hotel management - there's obviously lots of them here so I'm very hopeful, but I'm going to chill out in my current position for a month or two to avoid the stress and anti-social hours that come with running a hotel over Xmas!

Giz a free policy mister! :D

I've only spent a day in Brighton in my whole life, but I understand it is THE place to be for a young single man who enjoys shopping :eek: :LOL:

Good luck getting back into the hotel game. Just thinking, one of your concerns was with regards to holding the alcohol licence. Now, I'm pretty sure I've seen unlicenced hotels in the past, that could be worth looking into.

Sponsored Links
Simon..great News fella, glad to hear it's all coming together again for you..Brighton is a lovely town..just not my cup of tea to live..

Regarding your Job..your not the fella who has phoned me 5 times in the last week trying to sell me insurance are you? :LOL: :LOL:

Brighton a town....were a city now, welcome to the metropolis of the south coast ninebob, i think you may well never move back. where abouts are you living?

Thermo said:
Brighton a town....were a city now, welcome to the metropolis of the south coast ninebob, i think you may well never move back. where abouts are you living?

Didn't know you was in Brighton Thermo...so are you there for the scenary too? :LOL: :LOL:

i actually live just outside in a small town called shoreham, but i was born and breed in brighton. grew up and worked there all my life. Certainly seen a few changes and certainly saw some intresting things there too in my old job!

Thermo said:

Kemptown, just near the Black Horse pub, just off where Upper St James St turns into St Georges Road. It's actually a council block but my flatmate/landlord has bought his so it's in really nice nick and the view is fantastic (15th floor!)

ah essex place etc, great views and ideally located for your nightlife ;)

Just thinking, one of your concerns was with regards to holding the alcohol licence.
why would this concern someone? in fact, iirc, if you end up in court for a non-alcohol related offence, it is a defence to say you hold a personal license, because it shows you are a responsible citizen. (i recently got my license and am now the premises superviser at a shop that recently failed a test purchase before i was made the premises supervisor, this is the only thing that concerns me, but the member of staff concerned will not do it again, after landing herself an £80 fine 2 weeks into her new job :evil: )

ninebob said:
Thermo said:

Kemptown, just near the Black Horse pub, just off where Upper St James St turns into St Georges Road. It's actually a council block but my flatmate/landlord has bought his so it's in really nice nick and the view is fantastic (15th floor!)
Good for you :!: There`s a nice restaurant called Jesters in Kemp town.say hello to H for me if she is still running it........never occured to me that your moniker was self mocking :rolleyes: :LOL: .......

and call into samsons (no hes not the local massage parlour bloke) just around the corner, Great burgers!

Thermo said:
ah essex place etc, great views and ideally located for your nightlife ;)

Bingo! You're spot on there thermo - I was a bit worried when I first saw the block but it's actually very well maintained, and as one guy in the lift said, "ooh don't worry dear, no trouble in here, it's all old age pensioners or queens!"

You're right about the location - it's about 5-6 minutes walk to the pubs I've started using (Bulldog, Queens Arms etc) and only 5-6 minutes further to my workplace on the corner of Church St & Tichborne St.

Incidentally Thermo, in the course of your work did you ever have much trouble from the Black Horse in Montague Place? I went in for a quick pint on my way home from work in the first week and very quickly realised that although it's now geographically my "local", it's not a very nice place and probably not somewhere I'll be going into again!

Sponsored Links
Back