It's not just racism that needs to be brought to attention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is some friends of ours, isn't it a shame we live in a society where people can be so mean,

This can have real long term effects on the kids, luckily they have great back up support from friends and family.

This happens to lots of people with disabilities, but people don't see it as important as racism to bring it to the front of people's minds. Well done to BBC Essex for getting involved.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4104678362920913&id=174558089266313

Sponsored Links
My response to this is the same as if it were racism.. I find it hard to believe.. not that I don't believe this happens ; I just find it hard to believe there are people like this out there... ....

The problem is largely that some people are just arseholes. Many people who are racist are also xenophobic, homophobic, mysonogistic, anti-disability, anti-muslim, antisemitic etc etc.

They just hate everybody apart from themselves.

I have, over the years, been subject to all sorts of verbal and physical abuse due to my disabilities.

I know the excuse is that previous decades were "a different time", but I have had all sorts of stuff shouted at me over the years and even physical stuff, ranging from playground bullies to a lad saying I should have been killed at birth and threatening to dispatch me there and then to an impatient driver shoving me over a low fence because I took too long to traverse a zebra crossing.

It has always amazed me how people think it's OK to treat other people like this. I remember as a little boy being really upset that another kid called me names. My Gran told me about "sticks and stones", but of course it still has an effect on you. I just learnt to ignore it and I would say to myself that they are ignorant unthinking people.

It still happens, most recently just before the pandemic when I was with someone who had both lower legs amputated.
When I was younger, I just used to say nothing, but these days I speak up for myself and it seems to have the desired effect (the abuser backs down).
We were outside a Tesco store and a 20-something lad yelled "What's wrong with you, s*****c?"
My reply was "Would you like a list?", closely followed by "What makes you think that behaving like that is acceptable?" The guy was so taken aback he walked away.

Thankfully, incidents like this are few and far between these days.

Sponsored Links
I have, over the years, been subject to all sorts of verbal and physical abuse due to my disabilities.

I know the excuse is that previous decades were "a different time", but I have had all sorts of stuff shouted at me over the years and even physical stuff, ranging from playground bullies to a lad saying I should have been killed at birth and threatening to dispatch me there and then to an impatient driver shoving me over a low fence because I took too long to traverse a zebra crossing.

It has always amazed me how people think it's OK to treat other people like this. I remember as a little boy being really upset that another kid called me names. My Gran told me about "sticks and stones", but of course it still has an effect on you. I just learnt to ignore it and I would say to myself that they are ignorant unthinking people.

It still happens, most recently just before the pandemic when I was with someone who had both lower legs amputated.
When I was younger, I just used to say nothing, but these days I speak up for myself and it seems to have the desired effect (the abuser backs down).
We were outside a Tesco store and a 20-something lad yelled "What's wrong with you, s*****c?"
My reply was "Would you like a list?", closely followed by "What makes you think that behaving like that is acceptable?" The guy was so taken aback he walked away.

Thankfully, incidents like this are few and far between these days.

I'm sorry that you have had to go through that... People who chuck personal insults arre sad. I mean they must be sad depressed people to have to do such things to make themselves feel good.... Remember that feeling they get from insults won't last.. I do actually feel sorry for them.

"I don't discriminate. I hate everyone!"

Bernard Manning

It wasn't true though. He sneered at, insulted and made up stories about blacks, Indians, Southerners, Scots, Irish, Travellers, Jews...

But never about Northern racists of working-class heritage.

I don't understand that there needs to be an equivalence here. That its a zero sum game where people face abuse because of some characteristic - where if there is focus on racism it implies that it detracts from abuse other people face. This mindset is used to divide.

Yet how many supported Trump on here when he mocked disabled people?

It wasn't true though. He sneered at, insulted and made up stories about blacks, Indians, Southerners, Scots, Irish, Travellers, Jews...

But never about Northern racists of working-class heritage.

Saw him live twice. Never laughed so hard. Had aching jaw next day. RIP Bernard.

if there is focus on racism it implies that it detracts from abuse other people face. This mindset is used to divide.

That's not what I meant to imply or say. I meant we should be looking at our behaviour to all parts of society not just tackling racism.

So I am sorry you took it as such.

That's not what I meant to imply or say. I meant we should be looking at our behaviour to all parts of society not just tackling racism.

So I am sorry you took it as such.

I didn't take it as such - I have a handle that you are a sensible poster. It's just the mindset that things must be a zero sum game is what Politicians push all the time.

Sponsored Links
Back