I've decided to have the entire house rewired - does that mean skimming would be needed?

It sounds interesting John. Have you any idea what the type of plaster might be that's the "hard one" - would it be some type of cement based rendering product? Would the plaster that looks similar to "sand" be lime based?
Yes, I think you must be right on both counts - cement-based and lime-based respectively. Once one is below the surface (which is smooth, and seems 'hard'), the latter really does both look and behave just like 'sand', and some of it contains (I suspect horse) hair. The hard one is extremely hard, far more so than, say, brick-laying mortar, and is at least as hard as render - a mere 'hammer drill' struggles to get through it, one really needs an SDS one. It also can be anything up to a couple of inches deep, most commonly about one inch.

The strange thing is there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern as to where in the house the two different types exist - they both seem to exist in both the Georgian and Victorian parts of the house.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Fill the chases, heavy duty lining paper, and rediscover your love of decorative wallpaper.

I did a rewire in Brum where I managed to rewire the lighting entirely without any redecoration required.
In a few places I needed to remove a tiny bit of plaster next to the switch box, where the capping fell short of the box, to release the cable. But I was able to fill these holes back in and they were concealed by the switch plate.

The customer was ecstatic and I was very pleased with myself!

I did a rewire in Brum where I managed to rewire the lighting entirely without any redecoration required.
In a few places I needed to remove a tiny bit of plaster next to the switch box, where the capping fell short of the box, to release the cable. But I was able to fill these holes back in and they were concealed by the switch plate. The customer was ecstatic and I was very pleased with myself!

How often do the planets align like this? (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
We find that we're lucky to get a couple of reusable conduits here. New cable being much bigger is a major issue as well as the old heights being wrong and general lack of accessories in older Installations. Also sometimes we find diagonal tracks (chases) for cookers etc.

We find that we're lucky to get a couple of reusable conduits here. New cable being much bigger is a major issue as well as the old heights being wrong and general lack of accessories in older Installations. Also sometimes we find diagonal tracks (chases) for cookers etc.
I presume diagonal chases are not considered best practice?

They used to be if in earthed steel conduit.

Can't remember when that changed.

I don't have the latest 18th.

But as far as I was aware, in the BGB, it was.

Can you corroborate, TTC?

Cheers.

MI buried in walls (and ceilings) would often be run diagonally, though in walls I would still prefer it to be run in normal safe zones - who wants to repair that?

MI buried in walls (and ceilings) would often be run diagonally, though in walls I would still prefer it to be run in normal safe zones - who wants to repair that?
Sure, but have a look at the original post. The OP is planning on having the house rewired. I doubt that there’s going to be much MI, or SWA, run in those walls.

So do occasionally tradesman get electric shocks from accidentally chopping through an unexpected cable in the ground or wall and would general safety boots protect you from getting electrocuted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back