I'VE GIVE UP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well after purchasing every size, pile and brand of roller possible....I've give up!

I'm attempting what I foolishly thought would have been a pretty straight forward job. Paint my living room white and the ceiling which already has a coat, white.

First coat (intended undercoat) went ok, I could actually see if the paint was going on!

Second coat, not so good. It seems that no matter what roller I use (medium / short pile, Dulux / Harris / Hamilton!) the bloody walls are still patchy and I'm making the mistakes of rolling over already rolled ground and not keeping the edge wet. Oh, and my 'cutting in' around the borders leaves a little to be desired!

So, I have given up the ghost. Will see how I feel in the morning, but I've already logged onto findatradesman!

I must say, respect to all you professionals! I thought it was going to be easy, how wrong I was and it looks like I've just wasted all that cash thinking it was all about the roller.

Have any of you guys got a 'rough' idea how much it would cost for a pro to carry out the work?? 7 x 5 room inc kitchen and ceilings (approx 60m2)

Thanks to all for the advice!!

Hellboy

Sponsored Links
Give the surface a light sand to remove any inconsistencies, mainly any bits of crud that may have found its way onto the ceiling. Dust off.

Start painting from the window end when you do the ceiling.

Same with the walls.

Try to work quickly but methodically.

Keep a damp cloth handy.

I remember many years ago my first painting attempt with a roller, I thought it was patchy, kept going over it, pressing harder & harder (that left ridges), turned out the paint was drying quickly, so it looked patchy. When I like you got fed up & left it, it dried out ok.

Diyisfun makes a good point that paint can appear patchy as it dries out, so don't be tempted to re-roll areas that seem patchy straight away.
When applying a second coat it is important to ensure the first has dried thoroughly. It may seem dry to the touch, but applying the second coat too soon can liven up the first causing it to lift and give you a poor finish.

Also sparkwright's advice about working away from the source of light on the ceiling is a good tip.

Personally, I use a medium pile roller, but that is a matter of individual preference and technique. For a DIYer doing a one-off job, the cheap roller and tray sets available at B&Q etc are usually suitable, although I haven't used one for years so the quality may have changed.

The best way to paint for a DIYer is to cut in first then apply a good even coat to the field (get the cows in first!), working in 4'-6' wide bands, before going back and laying off in full length strokes (top to bottom or vice versa) and carrying on to the next band and so on. It's very important not to stop in the middle of any wall or ceiling. Using a 2"-3" brush with long bristles makes cutting in far easier.

Don't give up - everyone has to start somewhere and remember the old saying: 'Practice makes Perfect'

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

It is now 14 hours since the last coat and it still appears patchy. I can see lines where I've applied the roller. Don't understand why it is so uneven.

I'm working in blocks of about 1 x 1 m. Is it possible I'm not applying enough paint. With it being white, I'm finding it very hard to see where the paint is going on. I have been rolling an 'N' over a metre, then up, down, left, right and finishing off with an even (or it thught!) upward roll

On my second coat I've used around 2ltrs over 20m2?? Is that right.

Although I am completely covering the roller with paint it seems the paint is going on more in some places than in others, causing the patches. As though the roller is dry in some places or not touching the walls surface.??

I would love to complete the job myself, although I know what I am like and looking at a patchy white wall in my first and brand spanking new home will just cause me to be a little peeeed off.

I only want to get a tradesman in if they are able to give the walls a really good finish and be an improvement on my work so far, it all costs!!

Its a real shame as I'm off next week, working away for a couple of months and wanted it all done before the flooring gets put down.!!!

Annoying.

Sounds as if you could be over-working it by going up, down, left, right and then laying off or perhaps it's just that you haven't got consistent pressure mastered yet. Is it possible that the room is a bit warm causing the paint to dry too quickly?

As a general rule of thumb, most emulsions will cover about 12-15m² per litre, so you might be putting it on a little thicker in some places which is causing the patchiness. You don't say what paint you are using but one coat emulsions don't go as far. (Hope it's not Dulux Once as it causes lots of patches due to it's thickness - can't stand it!!)

I suppose you might be better off in the long run getting a pro in before waste you too much money and the walls get ruined. I don't know about your area, but many decs charge day rates which vary up and down the land from £100-£150+materials. Personally, I like to look at a job and give a price for it so the customer knows it won't be dragged out.

Cheers Misterhelpful,

Well, you're right. I've already wasted a little bit of cash trying it myself. Will leave it to the experts.

Got 2 quotes booked already. I'm hoping someone will be able to sort it!!

Thanks again for all the advice.

Hellboy

Cheers Got 2 quotes booked already. I'm hoping someone will be able to sort it!!

Hellboy
Make sure the guy who does it can handle a 6 inch emulsion brush - and get it done with that :idea: It`ll cover a multitude of roller sins - and separates the Tradesmen from the boys ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back