IVE GOT AN IDEA

B

B.O.B DOLE

Lets face it rockets are a waste of time in space they can not even get to mars, yet there is a probe that was sent of in 1976 which has already passed the solar system. According to Otto if we sent a probe which was powered by solar power more advanced than presant state with a self cleaning mirror on it or some other device attached to send back images to another probe which is sent into space about 5 years later and then another untill there is a chain of probes sending back pics to each other untill it reaches earth over a 100 year period who knows what distances these probes will have reached . if one breaks down the over one behind it will just take over it and so on.

Sponsored Links
So the title of the post should be "OTTO'S GOT AN IDEA", since it seems you no longer (even if you did once) have any original ideas, they all Otto's.

Bob don't listen to the others, they just like to take the p**s. I have been after some self-cleaning mirrors on my car for ages.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
So the title of the post should be "OTTO'S GOT AN IDEA", since it seems you no longer (even if you did once) have any original ideas, they all Otto's.

Can someone please tell me who Otto is?
Why does he never write any posts himself?

Actually Otto did write a post himself recently. He is obviously a clever chap. Only he and Bob know the location of the only safe place on the earth to be is when the meteor hits us in 5 days!

petewood said:
Bob don't listen to the others, they just like to take the p**s. I have been after some self-cleaning mirrors on my car for ages.
Lorry drivers have self cleaning mirrors. They tie a ickle bit of rag to the mirror stays :!: ;)

If Otto has selected BOB to come to the bunker with him, from whence they will rebuild the human race, they'd better remember to take some ladies......

Back to the original idea, I think the problem is going to be powering transmitters to send signals back to even the following probe - Batteries won't last that long, and it'll be too far from the sun to generate any solar power.

BOB...your wrong as is Otto.

In 1973 NASA used rockets to launch Pioneer 10 and 11, both have now passed the outer reaches of the Solar system and it is expected that they will pass the Heliopause in the next 20 years....that means they are more than 40 BILLION miles from Earth...Voyagers 1 and 2 were launched in 1976, they have now, in opposite directions, also joined the Pioneers in the outer environs of the solar system, they still transmit data and they also are expected to cross the Heliopause prior to failing.

Further, Galileo and several other probes have also bee launched to other parts fo the solar system, including Mars, so for you to say Rockets cannot reach Mars is pathetic, stupid and shows how little you know about the subject.

The problem with Rockets is cost and time...in order to keep the cost managable, the fuel load needs to be kept down, as a result gravity assistance is usually used to slingshot craft to the inner and outer planets, this dramatically increases the time such missions take to reach their destination.

However a direct flight to Mars, when both planets are in the most opportune parts of the respective orbits, could be completed in as little as 625 hours of flight, which is a little over 26 days.

Solar sails are very feasible tools for future use, however their speed is even more limited than chemical rockets, unless you want to wait for the many years it takes for the radiation pressure to increase the velocity to useful levels.

The only real technologies we have available to use at this time for realy rapid exploration of the solar system both require Nuclear power. One is Ion drive Electric propulsion, and the other is a simply a Nuclear powered rocket..the same as a chemical rocket in essence, however it uses Nuclear explosions as propulsion...

Although small scale IDEP systems have been tested in the lab and one in flight, there are problems with the technology at this time, but I would envisage that these will be overcome in the next couple of decades.

FWL_Engineer said:
BOB...your wrong as is Otto.

In 1973 NASA used rockets to launch Pioneer 10 and 11, both have now passed the outer reaches of the Solar system and it is expected that they will pass the Heliopause in the next 20 years

If they had been fitted with Otto's self-cleaning mirrors then they would probably already be there by now. How can they be expected to manoeuvre around asteroids etc. if they have dirty mirrors? What if they get to the heliopause and need to do a 3-point turn?

edited to correct quote

JulieL said:
oilman said:

Can someone please tell me who Otto is?

Why does he never write any posts himself?

Otto is B.O.B Dole's friend. Otto did post (as petewood said), but the vicious censor (surely "Moderator" Ed.) deleted it after I replied to it. I think this was while Admin was on holiday. Either Otto is a clone, actually is B.O.B. or is hopelessly in love with B.O.B. as the style of his post was EXACTLY the same as B.O.B.'s i.e. same capitals for the title etc.[/i]

WoodYouLike said:
make it a little ship, so it can sail on solar-wind

You Dutch and your naval history ;) It worked on Star Trek DS9 :LOL:

Rockets are pretty good actually. The big chemical rockets we currently use aren't particularly efficient, but I challenge Bob (or Otto) to come up with a better propulsion system to work in space. Preferably pedal-powered.

Nuclear bomb-powered propulsion isn't currently legal: non-proliferation treaties stopped the placing of nuclear weapons in space.

Ion drives are pretty good. They accelerate like a Lada up a hill but they keep on accelerating. Wonderful. Remember with chemical rockets you get a big kick but you only fire them for minutes at a time. Ion drives fire for months, years, however long you have propellant and energy.

Imagine that your face is like interplanetary travel. If John Prescott (representing a chemical rocket) punched you in the face, then it would hurt, but you would soon get over it and your face (i.e. the journey) would be barely dented.

But, if the guy off the Mr Muscle advert (representing an ion drive) punched you in the face non-stop for a year, after a week your face would probably be more dented than it would from that singular pie-muncher's punch. And after 12 months of getting punched in the face it would probably really hurt.

However, the holy grail of interplanetary travel is John Prescott, with big metal clubs for hands, all junked up on space-crack and tanked up on special brew. In rocket form, obviously. If you could accelerate at 1g continuously it would solve the whole gravity element too.

I (briefly) worked on a research project to utilise the Casimir force as a means of propulsion... what can I say, I was young and foolish! :LOL:

oilman said:
Either Otto is a clone, actually is B.O.B. or is hopelessly in love with B.O.B. as the style of his post was EXACTLY the same as B.O.B.'s i.e. same capitals for the title etc.[/i]

Otto did not post in ze style off Bob, Otto's post vas in ze German accent, proofing zat zey are different people.

My name ist Otto Snieder i am fom thee area of hannover in se german provie i have veen thinking for very long time on dise problem but so far my experiments fail to respond instead of explosion experiments i am using a techneqe of inplosion up to now things look bad has i have failed to contain thee inplosion in the porpose of thrust. i am thinking of ways to accomplish this maybe in few years this could be possible.

B.O.B DOLE said:
My name ist Otto Snieder i am fom thee area of hannover in se german provie i have veen thinking for very long time on dise problem but so far my experiments fail to respond instead of explosion experiments i am using a techneqe of inplosion up to now things look bad has i have failed to contain thee inplosion in the porpose of thrust. i am thinking of ways to accomplish this maybe in few years this could be possible.

But Otto, you told us through Bob that the meteor strike on Sept 29th is going to wipe out most of the earth. You don't have a few years you have 3 days!

Sponsored Links
Back