Demister pad connection on illuminated bathroom mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been sent a mirror which is supposed to be a demister type but they've sent the incorrect back so there's no connection plug for the opposing plug on the back of the mirror to connect to. I cannot send it back as was bough over a year ago (never thought to check if the plug was missing from a brand new product!)

It's an illuminated type (switches on via sensor under bottom) with shaver socket (with isolation switch).

Where would the plug normally plug in to? Would it go via a dropper or straight to 240? I presume it should turn on with the light (which are 2x fluorescent tubes).

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
to be honest, it was more like 2yrs ago, they're washing their hands of it!

Sponsored Links
The demister pads are 230V, so connect directly to the supply.
They turn on with the lights, via whatever switch is fitted.

I guess the device below the shaver socket is the on/off switch for the demister?

I think the easiest will be for you to ignore that and (per the above, just wire the demister pad connections that you have into the supply terminals.
You'll want the heater to come on with the light in any case.

Post a picture of the mirror bit if you aren't sure.

The switch below the shaver socket is the shaver isolation switch. But yes, I as I mentioned in my original post, I thought the heater should activate with the light, but maybe link it to the said switch otherwise it's coming on every time the light's on which isn't every time it needs demisting. How are they meant to work?

Is the feed to the mirror base unit a permanent feed (ie you need the sensor to switch the lights on and off)
or do the mirror lights go on and off with the room lights.

IMO, to make this work nicely, you'll need a permanent and a switched feed (plus neutral).

Permanent feed so the lights go on and off using the sensor.
And so the shaver point is permanently powered (so you can charge the toothbrush)

And switch feed so the demister works when you are in there nd the lights are on..

You COULD have them all connected to the permanent feed but you have to work out how to connect the demister switch* to the demister pad - in my experience, the dimister just won't get used otherwise.

* This is such a simple bit of circuitry that even my Year 7 daughter could work it out, in less than a minute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back