Jammed SDS drill bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
hope you can help, I have a Direct Power SDS plus drill and I thought that the drill bit I was using (with the grooves in the shank) was the correct one. It’s obviously not, so it’s now loose in the chuck but won’t come out despite pulling while in a vice etc. Is there any easy way that any of you knowledgeable people know of??
Thanks for your help.
Rob

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
it seems like you have put it in dry, get some WD 40 in the chuck to free up the chuck, the drill shaft should have a smear of grease on it to stop this from happening.

Hi again,
I have put the oil in the chuck and left it a week to soak but the drill bit still will not come out. Its seems to be loose in the jaws but no amount of pulling even when the sleeve is pulled right back will release it.
Seems that the only way will be to dismantle the chuck assembly unless anybody else has ideas or experience of the same problem and can help.
Rob

the drill bit may have mushroomed at the end, put the bit in the vice then wack the end of the chuck with a big hammer, its only a cheap drill so not mutch to loose

Merlin 50,
thanks for the advice and you were correct, the end was mushroomed. I put the bit into a unfixed small vice and hit that while holding the sleeve down which did free the bit without damaging the drill. Incredible that it did that to the drill bit and hope its only because I used the wrong bit.
Thanks for all of the advice.
Rob

cheap drill bit grind the end back and it may be ok if you keep an eye on it. using it may work harden the end and stop it happening again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back