japan announced

It's not really sustainable though, not without harming so much of the planet, let alone the animals.
Nor is a vegetarian lifestyle sustainable...

For example, do you know how much water it tales to grow a single advocado?
(it's 320 litres btw)
Just because you don't care what you eat, not everyone thinks the same and think more emotionally. There's nothing wrong with that and nobody should have to apologise for it.
I care very much about what I eat, but just because I have a view that singling out a particular animal that shouldn't be eaten (for whatever reason) is in my opinion hypocritical and I don't apologise for thinking that!

Sponsored Links
Yes it is, but have to be smart. Eat locally, in season and be smart what is grown and.... stop this huge amount of food waste that we all seem to do, be meat or veggies.

A huge percentage of crops are grown to feed animals for meat, so it makes sense to stop the meat part. Rainforests and other areas are destroyed in order to grow crops for animals to eat - destroying the habitat of many a species in the meantime, so people can eat meat. I don't think people give much thought about the production, the huge cost to the environment and the suffering to more animals than just the one they are eating when they chomp their steak supper.

I care very much about what I eat, but just because I have a view that singling out a particular animal that shouldn't be eaten (for whatever reason) is in my opinion hypocritical and I don't apologise for thinking that!
Never said you did have to apologise did I? I don't think it's as simple as being hypocritical, more emotional and cultural.

Nor is a vegetarian lifestyle sustainable...

For example, do you know how much water it tales to grow a single advocado?
(it's 320 litres btw

Eating a veggie diet means 2.5 x less carbon emissions than a meat diet.

Only Guardian reading Lefties eat avocados :ROFLMAO:

Nor is a vegetarian lifestyle sustainable..
It's also very cruel
carrot.jpg

Sponsored Links
Eat locally, in season and be smart what is grown and.... stop this huge amount of food waste that we all seem to do, be meat or veggies.
Can't argue with that...

Food waste is a major problem, and people should stop thinking it is normal to have strawberries at Christmas!
Or asparagus flown in from Peru when it's not in season here.
But that is only set to get worse as we will apparently be looking further afield for our foodstuffs in the future!
A huge percentage of crops are grown to feed animals for meat, so it makes sense to stop the meat part.
There are conflicting views about that...

Beef production is of course the worst example, but growing many vegetables produce as much greenhouse gas emissions as other forms of meat in a like for like calorie comparison...

Can't argue with that...

Food waste is a major problem, and people should stop thinking it is normal to have strawberries at Christmas!
Or asparagus flown in from Peru when it's not in season here.
But that is only set to get worse as we will apparently be looking further afield for our foodstuffs in the future!

There are conflicting views about that...

Beef production is of course the worst example, but growing many vegetables produce as much greenhouse gas emissions as other forms of meat in a like for like calorie comparison...
And no comment on the acre after acre of rainforests that are destroyed, and all the animals in them?

And I disagree, am pretty sure that veggies have lower greenhouse gas emissions than meat, which is why nowadays the campaign is to eat less meat.

And no comment on the acre after acre of rainforests that are destroyed, and all the animals in them?
Much of that also occurs because of logging and production of crops not being used to feed animals. Bio fuels also has a part to play. As do mineral extraction and of course oil.

And I disagree, am pretty sure that veggies have lower greenhouse gas emissions than meat, which is why nowadays the campaign is to eat less meat.
An interesting read

Much of that also occurs because of logging and production of crops not being used to feed animals. Bio fuels also has a part to play. As do mineral extraction and of course oil.

An interesting read
Had to search for an article to kind of support your argument :ROFLMAO:

, the meat-based diet requires more energy, land, and water resources than the lactoovovegetarian diet. In this limited sense, the lactoovovegetarian diet is more sustainable than the average American meat-based diet
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/78/3/660S/4690010

Ideally we should try to live on this planet without killing animals. Unfortunately we are evolved as meat eaters. Therefore we should apply the best possible welfare standards to the animals will kill and eat:
- There is a difference between hunting and farming
- We also have to consider the intelligence of the animal
- We should minimise the waste

Japan is only hunting Whales in its own waters, people who object are free to boycott Japanese industry. Its questionable if Whale meat in Japan is actually safe to eat, as there is quite a lot mercury in them.

Had to search for an article to kind of support your argument
You must have missed...

“Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon...

Lots of common vegetables require more resources per calorie than you would think. Eggplant, celery and cucumbers look particularly bad when compared to pork or chicken.”

You must have missed...

“Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon...

Lots of common vegetables require more resources per calorie than you would think. Eggplant, celery and cucumbers look particularly bad when compared to pork or chicken.”

You really must try to read beyond the first article you Google, on a calorie by calorie basis, that may be true, but as the calorie equivalent of 1 rasher of bacon has the same calorific content as about 23 servings of lettuce, your argument is somewhat spurious.

Eat locally, in season and be smart what is grown and

this is so important. Many vegans and vegetarians who talk about carbon footprint then eat cashews, rice, lentils and other produce that is grown overseas. Nobody seems to talk about the transport of non-meat products around the world. If every country could produce its own food, that would make a bigger impact on carbon emissions. Buy local! (might be tricky when the pickers don't turn up though)

Unfortunately, due to the UK's latitude it is not possible to be self sufficient in food with the current population levels. The last time the UK ( although it didn't exist as an entity then) was self sufficient in food, the population level remained pretty constant for a long time, approx 1 million people only.

Sponsored Links
Back