JCB 3C starting after 4 years neglect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Group,

I am trying go get a JCB 3C started after 4 years sitting in the corner of a field.

The jcb ran fine when it was left.

So far I have put a replacement battery in it and turned her over
a few times.

Will the diesel lines need bleeding to get it going again.

Should I drain the fuel? Bleed the fuel lines.
Advice please.

Sponsored Links
Id definitely drain the fuel and change the filter after 4 years, it may take some bleeding afterwards but it may be an easy enough task on an old jcb lump.
It may help to give it a sniff of easystart to get it going, not recommended to use it long term but ok to aid with a first lay up start.
Forgot to add that doing an oil and filter change is a must too.

Last edited:
I have just fired up an oil fired boiler that has been standing for about 8 years and it went first time! As heating fuel is similar to diesel it would suggest that it doesn't deteriorate like petrol.

I would agree with the use of easy start in moderation as this will often get enough revs up for the engine to run by itself.

Peter

For what it's worth many years ago a neighbour "rescued" an old diesel fire pump. He put lubricant into the cylinders and turned it slowly by hand before before attempting to start it.

Sponsored Links
Probably a good idea to replace the fuel filters, and hand crank the fuel lift pump if that's possible.
To help bleed the injector pump if you need to, crack open one of the injector pipes and crank away, tighten the thing once it starts.
John :)

Ok I think I have the fuel system bleed.
I am getting little puffs of fuel at the injector connectors fuel connectors. Should it be little puffs or more of a stream?
There seems to be fuel at the fuel filters top nuts when I turn over.
But doesn't sound like it wants to start.
Suggestions?

The fuel filter bowls need to be absolutely brim with fuel and no air.....dead easy if the lift pump has a hand lever!
That's the primary side bled. the high pressure, or secondary side is next and its only necessary to have one injector nut loose, so tighten the others back up. if the fuel can escape there, no way will it be able to open the injector!
Are there any glow plugs on this engine, to allow a preheat? Maybe there's just the one, at a branch on the inlet manifold.
On cranking, you'll need a good battery to spin the engine over as fast as possible.

OK I just had the one nut open. Just not sure if it should be stream of fuel.
I see on youtube a guy starting a jcb by putting a heat gun in the air intake.
I think I'll have that a go as well. Once this wind stops.

The fuel you see should be in pulses, not continuous.
Heating the manifold up is a good idea too.....in fact some old diesels actually had a flame plug in the manifold, that did just that.
Make sure the throttles are open full when you try to start!

I seem to remember one of the JCB's had a Start Pilot system fitted when new - Dunno which model or if it was necessary but it might be relevant to the old machine. One day ( if I can get the guy to buy a tractor tyre) I have a 1950's DB tractor to get going ! for a M8 - it was his grandfathers and it's been standing for decades - but it turned over on the starting handle a year or so ago :eek: Must be the lowest comp. diesel in existence seeing as it was me who turned it .I'm not as strong as I was when a young'un.

I guess it depends on how old the digger is.....I've seen Perkins and International Drott motors used before.
They've all had the in line Simms Minimec injection pump though.

I've got some of those Perkins thermostart units in a drawer here somewhere John, and some injectors I think.:cool:

Would those be the two stud injectors, Peter?
The classic tractor guys are missing out on those!

I had a load of them but gave most to the local diesel guy. They have a loose two stud flange if I remember rightly, from 4/108 engines. I think the tractors are mostly P3's aren't they?

Peter

Yep, the little grey Fergie used the 3 cyl P3, and also a 4 cyl petrol engine......I've no idea where that one came from!

Sponsored Links
Back