1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

John Le Carrie - passes away

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SirGalahad, 14 Dec 2020.

1. SirGalahad

SirGalahad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55301305

What sad news, what a great author.

The first time I came across the work of Le Carrie works was the movie starring Richard Burton - The Spy who came in from the Cold.

I then read his novels.

A great author and man.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ellal

ellal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A fine author and indeed a great man...

"Le Carré speaks of his grandchildren who are “all appalled by Brexit and the concept that freedom of movement is being taken from them"

"Mob orators of the sort we have, the Boris Johnson sort, do not speak reason. When you get into that category, your task is to fire up the people with nostalgia, with anger. It’s almost unbelievable that these people of the establishment – Farage, for instance – are speaking of betrayal: ‘I’m betrayed by parliament, betrayed by government – I’m speaking to you as a betrayed person, and I’m a man of the people like you."

“I think everything is controllable if the social contract is restored. You cannot preach a level playing field in this country as long as you have such exclusive institutions as private education, private medicine, private everything.”

“I think my own ties to England were hugely loosened over the last few years. And it’s a kind of liberation, if a sad kind.”

Amen to that!

4. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, it was in the 'notable obituaries' thread last night you pair of oldnews hounds. :rolleyes: Still, let’s not miss a chance to shoehorn Brexit into the thread eh, Lally?

• Like Like x 1