@ johnny 2007

I like ACC as it allows me to pay more attention to the road. Especially in speed restrictions.

Sponsored Links
Nope to what ?

The sensors on the car did not see the truck and thus the car's automatic systems thought the road in front was clear, hence the system did not call for a reduction of speed.
No, it wasn't vision based, it was primarily radar based at that time with Vision as a secondary input.

No, it wasn't vision based, it was primarily radar based at that time with Vision as a secondary input.
The radar system would ( should ) have received a reflection from the truck that indicated that there was an object in front of the car within the safe stopping distance for the speed of the car.

Sponsored Links
Closing speed is not the critical factor in this incident, critical was an object in the path of the car that was it seems not detected by the sensors,

If the radar had Doppler speed detection then a single pulse would have detected a stationary object (*) in front of the car and known how far that object was from the car.

The car's own speed sensors would ( should ) have provided a value for the minimum safe braking distance.

(*) the truck was crossing the highway hence the vector along the highway would have been zero

Closing speed is not the critical factor in this incident, critical was an object in the path of the car that was it seems not detected by the sensors,

If the radar had Doppler speed detection then a single pulse would have detected a stationary object (*) in front of the car and known how far that object was from the car.

The car's own speed sensors would ( should ) have provided a value for the minimum safe braking distance.

(*) the truck was crossing the highway hence the vector along the highway would have been zero
No ACC can pick up that sort of closing speed. It was a critical factor.

The Wired article is a good introduction.

Light may be a category of radiation, but few would accept that a laser is a radio device.
I wrote "could claim". Light and radio are both e.m. radiation. You may think they're different, until you see Maxwell's equations, and try (and fail) to find a discriminant.
Do you care how it's transmitted? If so, why?
There are overlaps. What might appear a requirement may be just a property. Like coherence or bandwidth.

Last edited:
No ACC can pick up that sort of closing speed. It was a critical factor.

Primarily though, ACC is not for emergency braking / collision avoidance though; it is for controlled cruising, adapting to variations on that.

To my simple mind, the (Tesla equivalent of, if present) "collision avoidance system" was the thing that failed here.

quote from said article

These systems are designed to ignore static obstacles because otherwise, they couldn't work at all.

end quote

So these systems are useless when confronted with a stationary vehicle in front of them.
At least they are ( mostly ) claimed to be only an assistance to the driver

why am I reminded of this over confidence in radar ( it is fictional )

Last edited:
This happened yesterday in a nearby village, 30mph zone, average speed check cameras. Just happens to be on my route to where currently working, going to be a long diversion round some narrow lanes for the forseable I think.

AA15DeJE.img

Sponsored Links
Back