joining cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im moving a shower from one side of a room to another. the cable coming into the shower pull switch isent long enough. can i just joint another cable onto it and if so do i just use a junction box. in the bad old days it would have been connector blocks with bit of tape around but want to do it properly.thanks

Sponsored Links
Best option would be to leave the isolator where it is and replace the entire run from isolator to shower.

Junction boxes are acceptable provided they are adequately rated and accessible for inspection.

If you are having trouble sourcing a suitablly rated junction box try http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AAJB60.html .

Remember a longer cable run and/or a changed shower may impact circuit compliance. You must re-do the cable calcualtions with the new figures to check they still comply.

Remember this work is notifiable.

Sponsored Links
Remember a longer cable run and/or a changed shower may impact circuit compliance. You must re-do the cable calcualtions with the new figures to check they still comply.
Plug - he's not hearing things like that.

Doubt that he has a clue what you mean.

Remember this work is notifiable.
Or that.

i only asked for some advice guys. ive been in construction for over 25 years installing suspended ceilings and partitions so im no dickhead.now i remember why i dont like sparks!!!!! they think they are the industry elite when in reality 5% are good the others are cable jockeys!!!

i only asked for some advice guys.
And you were given the correct advice.

ive been in construction for over 25 years installing suspended ceilings and partitions
Suspended ceilings and partitions have nothing in common with electric showers.

now i remember why i dont like sparks!!!!! they think they are the industry elite when in reality 5% are good the others are cable jockeys!!!
You have been given the answers to your questions.
You won't be getting any more information.

Can only apologise for the some of the sarcastic replies you got bobby,some forget this is a DIY forum.

So do you think that because it's a DIY forum people should be encouraged to DIY absolutely anything, even when it's blindingly obvious that they don't have the necessary competence?

Ban, go look at the list of different forums on this site,nearly everything is catered for,if you have a problem with someone asking for a little bit of information then i suggest you mail admin and get them to change the name of the site....GOOD LUCK.

Ban, go look at the list of different forums on this site,nearly everything is catered for,if you have a problem with someone asking for a little bit of information
The problem is that ukbobbyjo is asking for lots of little bits of information, as and when little questions occur to him, quite possibly because he believes that when he's got all the little bits he thinks he needs he'll have everything he does need.

then i suggest you mail admin and get them to change the name of the site....GOOD LUCK.
And I suggest you go and look at all the other threads he's created.

It's quite clear that he's asking random questions as he's going along, actually doing installation work, as and when they occur to him.

That is not the way to learn everything that he needs to know in order to be safe to do the work.

You tell us, captaincargo, what could happen if he doesn't ask about something vitally important because he has absolutely no idea that it exists and absolutely no idea that he doesn't know it?

You tell us, captaincargo, what could happen if he doesn't ask about something vitally important because he has absolutely no idea that it exists and absolutely no idea that he doesn't know it?

Why do i get a reminder of Pinocchio from Shrek 3 from above quote?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back