Joining Chipboard floor (for shed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am building a metal shed in the garden. The main foundation is that of concrete. The sub floor is two pieces of chipboard floor both 5 foot wide. The sub floor will sit on the concrete base. My question is having butted up the chipboard floor together what is the best way in which to joint the two pieces together?

Regards

Sponsored Links
you're probably best off putting some shallow "joists" ( 3x2 on side or something ) under the floor and screwing to that..
that way, if you use pressure treated timber, your floor isn't in constant contact with the damp concrete and won't rot away as fast..

Chip board is an extremely poor choice both for external use & for a shed floor; I don't even like using it inside. It's not very hard wearing, will turn to mush in damp conditions in a very short time & mice & rats find it nice & easy to gnaw through using the shavings make a nice cosy nest.

Pressure treated T&G timber, Sterling board or even WBP ply is far more suitable, over a battened sub floor as suggested; I would also incorporate a sheet of plastic damp membrane in there somewhere.

metal sheds bad news they get very damp and during the winter they rain internaly [condensation dripping]
chipboard flooring even worse news in a metal shed lol :oops:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back