Joining extension to a house that leans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.
Currently building an extension, and am sat at DPC level. The house I am joining to has walls that are not plumb - only slightly out, but makes a difference of a couple of cm or so once you get up to around 3m.

How do you tie the extension into this? Other than just making the extension walls lean the same amount, I cannot think of any other way of doing it that will look acceptable once finished?

Should have checked before I started, but hey ho.

Luckily only a single storey extension....

Sponsored Links
I would always build the new straight and plumb.
It'll need tying in as best as you can and you might need to get innovative.
It will make the old look quirky, but I don't anything wrong with that.

Thanks. One end leans out and one end leans in.

The lean out end I think is easier as you can somewhat make up the difference with the final rendering. The lean in end is making me scratch my head.

I think you are right, build it plumb and then tie in as best you can once you get close to the existing wall. Will add to the character I suppose!

We built a two storey fella out from a hip end and our walls had to tie in line with the existing. It was a new build and the existing walls tapered in so that it was 50-60mm less at the top than the bottom. Our walls had to be in twist to match in.

Effing nightmare.

Sponsored Links
Hello All.
Currently building an extension, and am sat at DPC level. The house I am joining to has walls that are not plumb - only slightly out, but makes a difference of a couple of cm or so once you get up to around 3m.

How do you tie the extension into this? Other than just making the extension walls lean the same amount, I cannot think of any other way of doing it that will look acceptable once finished?

Should have checked before I started, but hey ho.

Luckily only a single storey extension....

you need to set out the extension corners plumb.

where you need to be careful is the set out of the brickwork -for 20mm you could simply stretch or shrink the perps so you dont end up with a massive mortar joint at the abutment.

if you want all the perps plumb in the new brickwork you will need to do an altered set out not finishing on a full / half brick resulting in a lot of brick cuts where the wall meets the house.

Noseall knows about brickwork so he might be able to advise better.

Build a little projection into the last 4" of new wall to hide the join, it's what they do when they re-skin the old terraces near me, they always have a row of bricks sticking out by a few cm to disguise the join between the new plumb wall and the old leaning wall next door.

IMG_20210504_094754318.jpg

We built a two storey fella out from a hip end and our walls had to tie in line with the existing. It was a new build and the existing walls tapered in so that it was 50-60mm less at the top than the bottom. Our walls had to be in twist to match in.

Effing nightmare.
I've always said that is very difficult for a good tradesman to try and achieve the type of work that comes naturally to someone who is crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back