Joining SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had 10m of 10mm SWA installed last year, into the garden by a sparky. This afternoon, there was a small fire (caused by a cigatette!!) that had burned the outer sheath of the SWA. About 2 feet in the middle. There is enough SWA to cut the damaged part out move it along (there is about 3-4 feet of excess) and resin join them together. I am capable of doing this, but an I allowed to?

Sponsored Links
How on earth does a cigarette manage to burn its way through 40-odd cm of soil?

Obviously its not buried so wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to renew the cable and do it properly , youd get some scrap value for the old cable as well

Sponsored Links
Epoxy shrink sleeve may repair without need to cut. There is some with like a zip so you can fit without sliding it along from one end.

Depending on how bad Self Amalgamating Tape and then standard insulation tape over the top may be good enough.

As already said pictures would help.

With that amount of heat the cable needs an ir test, how would you know the state of the inner core sheaths.

They may well have melted and you could have direct contacts between the LN and E.

Cutting out and jointing in a bit isn't viable.

Yes they were my initial thoughts.

It was suggested to me that cutting out the melted part, then seeing what damage was left. If no more damage then if there is enough to pull some along (there is 3-4 foot of excess inder the other end of the decking) and epoxy kit it together.

If it means a new length, it will have to wait a few months.

strip the outer sheath and see what condition the serving under the SWA is in, if that is melted you'll have to inspect the cores underneath and as suggested a 500V megger test would be needed.
If you there is no damage found you could re connect the SWA and encase the whole lot in a wooden trough and then fill with jointing resin (if you can get it separately), or as you suggested cut a piece out & rejoint it.

Cutting out and jointing in a bit isn't viable

Er, why?

strip the outer sheath and see what condition the serving under the SWA is in

Thats what I think I will do. I think some of the 2 core sheath has indeed melted, hopefully only only in the 2 foot where the outer has melted though, which will be cut out.

I don't see any reason why the damaged part can't be chopped out and joint a new piece in with 2 resin kits.

I had 10m of 10mm SWA installed last year, into the garden by a sparky.

The join in 2 parts for 10m of replacement seems "not viable" simply because it's only a 10m run.

Seriously why mess around with two joining kits and swa continuity when we are talking £45 for the cable, and the same or more for the 2 x resin kits.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back