Joining wires for a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Some advice please. When trying to install a new wall socket, sometimes it can be quite tricky to get the wiring into the back of the face socket. I've sometimes seen a wire which almost seems to have a metal sheath around the end of the wire, which makes it so much easier to get it into the hole to wire it up!
Is there a tool which can do this? And can this be used to join several wires together? For example if you have two earth wires which need to go into the same hole.
(Excuse my complete lack of terminology! I'm a family basic DIYer!)

Sponsored Links
I don't understand much of this, but I guess what you are referring to is the crimp thats fixed to the wires of an accessory, ready for you to place into a plug terminal?
If I find thats necessary, I twist the strands of the conductor together, and tin it with solder.....its a permanent join, but isn't insulated!
John :)

Just twist the wire it will stay put. If it's tricky it's probably the wire cut too short as it's a very simple task.

DO NOT twist solid conductors, It makes the problem worse (and its a PITA for the next guy).

Somebody was able to get the old socket in there, and so should you.

If the conductors are solid, you should be able to line them up, nice and straight. Ditto for stranded conductors, but it is OK to twist them.

And
Hi,
…... can this be used to join several wires together? For example if you have two earth wires which need to go into the same hole.
No, the crimp teminals are made for one conductor only. If you try and put in two, one is likely to pull out.

Footnote. Some cheaper sockets do not have very large terminals. Use a decent make, like MK or Crabtree.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back