Conventional screws on socket outlets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years ago I replaced the socket outlets and light switches at a friends house. The wiring was OK although the available available length was sometimes lacking. I believe he had bought MK and I remember having issues with 3 or 4 with the conductors popping out. I found the method used to retain the wire different to my MK sockets which were conventional large holes and screw which accommodated up to 3 x 2.5 wires easily.
Assuming you understand what I'm saying, are there any premium socket outlets / light switches with those older style holes.

Sponsored Links
I prefer the wire going in a hole and pinched by screw rather than between two small plates (if I remember rightly)

That range of MK is very old.

More than a couple of years!

Sponsored Links
The ones I fitted. W
hen you screwed down you were squeezing the conductors between an upper and lower plate rather than the screw entering the hole and pressing on the wires. The problem I found was with the limited length of the wires and sometimes with 3 of them. The purchase became very poor and they came out. I cannot increase the length of the wires but feel I'd be better of changing the outlets for ones where the screw pinched the conductors - assming they exist

You may be even worse off, the layout of the Mk logic plus terminals is usually well placed for short wires, other brands may have them set out worse.
Mk logic with the round terminals was phased out pre year 2000 I believe.
Cage clamps should be fine even for 3 wires, round terminals tended to drive the cable to the side of the screw thread, one of the reasons Mk likely phased them out.

CRABTREE may still use normal terminals

They now use those horrible square terminals, where the the thinner earth wires are prone to slip out.

Bit on the crap side now.

I think Click stuff may have decent round terminals, but not totally sure. I'm sure someone will confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back