Joining worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We're adding a breakfast bar to our kitchen and I need to find the best way of joining the new worktop to the existing piece. The existing piece is a square end with little overhang at the end of the run of base level cupboards. It's also quite a long piece with a cutout for the gas hob.

Some friends explained that I could use a worktop jog and router but I don't see how it will be possible. In any case, that would involve having to remove the worktop in order to cut out slots for the fixing bolts. I assume because they haven't seen the current worktop that their advice was based on assumptions which are probably incorrect.

Here's a couple of photos to help explain:
Worktop_angle.jpg

Worktop_front.jpg

If you can imagine that the breakfast bar will come from the wall and out into the kitchen floor area in the same direction that the drawers will open.

I'm thinking our easiest option is to just use a joining strip, something like this:
http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/kitche...ktop_trims/Corner-Joint-Silver-Effect-9746915

Sponsored Links
as there isnt much of an over hang as big all says.
or go for your jointing strip.

Thanks both.
I think the joint strip will be far easier and, though the finish won't be as smart, it will be adequate. And the cost to do purposely will be high as I'd need a professional to help so, weighing it all up, I think that's the best option.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
the trouble with joining strip is you still have to join the two halves together
you also need to fix to the wall
although you could use handrail bolts and drill an oversized hole in the strip

We've done similar, but it involved planing and fine chisel work to recess round the post formed edge of the in-situ W/T. Not really DIY work but you could practice on an offcut of ply or W/T.

You must have all your dimensions and how the other end is going to be supported - set up a mock-up - before cutting anything.

Personally, i'd stay away from hand rail bolts etc and use battens and ell brackets on the wall and unit end panel

I would not try to join it, drop it 50-100mm and attach to the side with an upstand all round, standard height for kitchen worktop is high to sit at, you will still need a high stool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back