joinng cooker cables - choc box connectors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
simiar to my last post, can i use choc box connectors to join cooker cable where i have removed a switch. a friend had this done by a builder (we took the panel off to have a look today as i want to do it) they looked fairly chunky ones and were wrapped up in insulating tape. would this be ok or a bad move?
any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
simiar to my last post, can i use choc box connectors to join cooker cable where i have removed a switch. a friend had this done by a builder (we took the panel off to have a look today as i want to do it) they looked fairly chunky ones and were wrapped up in insulating tape. would this be ok or a bad move?
any help appreciated.

Wago do connectors that go up to 6mm and 41A. Maintainance Free and much better than connectors when put in one of their boxes

Edit: Linky:

http://secure.wago.ltd.uk/shop/product/773-173_supplied_in_bags_of_25/

Don't tape connector blocks up with insulation tape, connector blocks need to be in a proper enclosure.
You can get large junction boxes for cooker cables, however any screwed join in a cable still needs to be accessible.

Don't tape connector blocks up with insulation tape, connector blocks need to be in a proper enclosure.
You can get large junction boxes for cooker cables, however any screwed join in a cable still needs to be accessible.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here but the term "accessible". . . . this can mean many things: From plastered into the wall so totally unaccessible through to fully accessible because it is surface mounted and visible.

With under a floor board, that can be lifted if access is required, somewhere in between the above two examples.

Just wondering if a cable joint under a floor board in a suitable 30A junction box would be considered "accessable"

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
NO!!!...
plastered into a wall is by no means accessible in anyones definition..

under a floor would only be accessible if you can get at it without the use of a tool, so something like a hole plugged with a SBC cover ( SBC is a big hole saw that drills a recessed round hole and you buy plastic covers that fit in the hole ), or a specifically installed lift off hatch..

this then becomes inaccessible the second you put laminate flooring or tiles down though..

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here but the term "accessible". . . . this can mean many things: From plastered into the wall~~~~~~~

With comments like that I think most sensible people would prefere that you did not jump ever again.

I don't have a photo of the hole in the wall where a terminal block extending a cooker supply and plastered into the wall overheated, melted, shorted, "exploded" and blew plaster across the room.

I suppose you would say that was "easily accessible" when repair was needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back