Jointing 10mm T and E cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am connecting a new electric hob as part pf a kitchen refurb. There is an existing 10mm cable which needs to be extended via a 45A isolator switch and CCU to the hob itself (<1metre). I know I can install a 60A connection box which is plastic and surface mounted but would prefer to sink the connection into the wall in proximity to the Click 60A CCU. The cable is currently recessed in the wall via plastic conduit. Can anyone advise whether a three terminal 60A connection unit exists or will I need to resort to a surface mount connection.

Also, the existing (legacy) cabling is black/red. Will be using cable which satisfies latest IET regs (brown/blue). I am assuming that provided I appropriately colour code legacy cabling at junction this is compliant.

Many thanks for your help in anticipation

Sponsored Links
You are allowed to have a non-accessible joint if it's crimped.

Oh, and I hope you have a thick skin as you should prepare for some serious incoming.........

Could you not put the DP switch at the end of your current 10mm cable, run a new single length of cable to new hob? No "connections" in the cable apart from within the switch.

The "legacy" label should be attached to you C.U.. Although I hate sticking crappy labels all over the front of a nice new C.U., they come in handy to hide grubby finger marks, paint dribbles etc. on older ones! :D

Sponsored Links
...also as it work within kitchen
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p[/QUOTE]
... or wait until April :)

As a general point, given the upcoming changes, we need to be very careful not to give anyone the impression that they won't need to comply with Part P in relation to work, say, in kitchens, after April 6th. The requirement to notify may be going, but the requirement to comply with Part P certainly isn't!

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks for your helpful and informative replies. DP switch will be fitted at an accessible point in bespoke fitted kitchen (within next 2 weeks). Current legacy termination provides inadequate tail length of the cable given regulations. So, fitting tails directly to DP switch not practicable (this would have been ideal solution!). I would prefer a buried jointing solution using mechanical jointing (viz a viz crimp) using a 50mm deep box with cover. Does one exist so that I can do this and be compliant with Part P? RCD will be fitted when legacy Consumer Unit is replaced.

I would prefer a buried jointing solution using mechanical jointing (viz a viz crimp) using a 50mm deep box with cover. Does one exist so that I can do this and be compliant with Part P?
That depends upon exactly what you mean by 'buried'? If you are simply talking about having a standard 50mm (maybe 47mm) deep 'backbox' buried in, and flush to, the wall with a (visible and removable) blank cover plate over it (and connections within the box with a connector strip or other suitable method) - then that counts as 'accessible' and would be fully acceptable.

Although more space is always nice, you probably wouldn't necessarily need a 50mm deep box to join two 10mm² cables - you could probably get away with 35mm if you wanted to do less 'digging'.

Kind Regards, John

I would prefer a buried jointing solution using mechanical jointing (viz a viz crimp) using a 50mm deep box with cover. Does one exist
47mm do
So that I can do this and be compliant with Part P? RCD will be fitted when legacy Consumer Unit is replaced.
If RCD is not installed immediately to protect buried cable, it is then non-compliant with BS7671, extending circuit without notification, is currently in breach of the law.

Hi
To clarify, I mean a c50mm deep box, fully accessible with jointing inside, co-located to the CCU The box will not be 'buried'. Proposed jointing using 60A terminal strip. From your reply John this will be an acceptable solution. The buried cable (from legacy tail and to DP isolator switch will need earthed metallic trunking for a short distance. Can you advise what is current good practice for locally earthing the trunking.

Hi To clarify, I mean a c50mm deep box, fully accessible with jointing inside, co-located to the CCU The box will not be 'buried'. Proposed jointing using 60A terminal strip. From your reply John this will be an acceptable solution.
Indeed- although I'm not sure what you mean by 'co-located to the CCU'.
The buried cable (from legacy tail and to DP isolator switch will need earthed metallic trunking for a short distance. Can you advise what is current good practice for locally earthing the trunking.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'legacy tail'. Provided that the circuit is (at it must be, to be compliant with regs) RCD protected and run in 'safe zones' (probably horizontally from the 'joint box' in your case) then earthed metallic trunking/conduit is not required - it can simply be buried in a wall, with or without some plastic conduit or whatever.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back