Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a slight drip coming from the underneath side of the hot tap on the kitchen sink, we have insurance through Homeserve and a plumber came out, he fit a new fibre washer and said it was fixed.

I arrived home from work to find a new leak coming from an elbow at the other end of the same pipe he worked on which was not leaking before he worked on it, this is the plastic snap on type of connection.

I called Homeserve and they arranged for him to come out again, he took the plastic pipe out and said the leak was caused because the pipe was scored, i found this a little strange as it had not leaked for the previous two years.

He cut the pipe using a kitchen knife and put it back in and said it was fine (no pressure testing or anything) within ten minutes it was seeping again, i called him back and this time he put a lot of ptfe tape on the pipe and fitted a metal compression elbow in place of the plastic one and said the plastic one was faulty.

I am now worried the pipe might come out and flood the kitchen.

Is it common practice to fit metal compression joints to plastic pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Ahh cutting hep/speedfit with a butcher knife, if thats not the sign of a professional I don't know what is.. :rolleyes:

Ahh cutting hep/speedfit with a butcher knife, if thats not the sign of a professional I don't know what is.. :rolleyes:
Providing it was a genuine "kitchen devil" then it should be fine! ;)

Op, contact you insurers and ask them to send a professional around.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the piece of pipe he cut off did have a rounded smooth edge at one end and a small gap around the end of the pipe approx 2mm from the end, i am assuming that was the insert, he did remove something and used a lot of ptfe tape before putting it into the new metal compression elbow.

Can i sleep tonight without the worry the pipe will come out and flood the house ?

Thanks, the piece of pipe he cut off did have a rounded smooth edge at one end and a small gap around the end of the pipe approx 2mm from the end, i am assuming that was the insert, he did remove something and used a lot of ptfe tape before putting it into the new metal compression elbow.

Can i sleep tonight without the worry the pipe will come out and flood the house ?
There was no need for the ptfe. But sleep easy anyway.

Why not just pay a local plumber to check it out, or re-do the joint if you're that worried. Shouldn't cost more than about £40.

We pay for the Homeserve insurance on all the pipes in the house I expected them to send a plumber not a cowboy, why should i pay a local plumber to fix his botch up job ?

I know very little about plumbing but after a quick google I knew he should have used a pipe cutter not a kitchen knife when he first cut the pipe as the rough end of the pipe would damage the seal and was not surprised when it leaked 10 minutes later, he also didnt do the preassure test he simply turned the water on had a quick took and said its fixed.

I am looking forward to homeserves follow up call and will be telling them how bad my first experience of their service was.

From past experience Homeserve bodg,sorry"repairs" leave a lot to be desired,you may be better off saving your money,and getting a proper local plumber in as and when required.

He cut the pipe using a kitchen knife and put it back in and said it was fine (no pressure testing or anything) within ten minutes it was seeping again, i called him back and this time he put a lot of ptfe tape on the pipe

QUALITY!!! :eek:

Sounds like you would be better off saving the premiums you pay to Homeserve under your mattress. In the event of you needing a plumber, you can use the money saved to get a proper one.

You might be right but i am hoping he is the bad apple in the barrel and they do employ plumbers who do the job properly.

I have checked the joint several times today and (touch wood) its still not leaking, i guess the metal compression elbow is better than the snap on one that was originally there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back