Just had a CU fitted and the report said…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
… in the observations/recommendations section (PIR-N) it said that 2 things need urgent attention:

1. No bonding to gas / water
2. Identification of cables

Just wandering how serious is the first one and what does it mean? and with the second one I think it's to do with some wires the electrician used to do our spot lights. Our plasterers doing the hallway recommended an electrician and he was in and out before we could ask him any questions – I presume we need to get someone to check this work and that's what 2.is about. The wires in question seem thicker than usual and didn't seem to be colour coded correctly. I can't remeber what the colours were but remember they looked odd when they were hanging through the newly plastered ceiling. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

A preiodic test was recommended but I thought that's what the PIR-N is?

Sponsored Links
kroc_kroc said:
1. No bonding to gas / water

You need to find a new electrician.

He has already proved his incompetence by fitting the CU without first ensuring the bonding was in place.

Sponsored Links
OK – cheers. Where do I find a decent electrician then? I've used 2 now and as the above poster suggested they seem to both be unreliable. I paid 180 pounds for the new CU and fitting and this is really annoying me. I presume you are supposed to check these things before fitting and he just wanted the money? Where do I find someone in NW London?

kroc_kroc said:
I paid 180 pounds for the new CU ...in NW London

You paid about £200 less than expected then.

Did your 'electrician' mention anything about Building Regulations?

Did your 'electrician' mention anything about Building Regulations?

I was at work today when he performed the task. My wife dealt with him. To be honest as you can tellby my questions I'm a toatl novice when it come to this sort of thing. Can anyone be a bit more helpful and apart from looking for a new electrician advise me on what to do the next? What about Building Regulations?

Most electrical work is now covered by building regulations (Part P). This is LAW.
See here //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

When fitting a new consumer unit the electrician must:
1. Test and certify that the installation complies with the requirements of BS7671. To comply with this the electrician has (among other things) to bring the earthing arrangements (ie bonding) up to standard.
2. He has to notify the local authority that the work has been carried out in accordance with BS7671. If he is not a part of a recognised scheme then he must notify the local authority BEFORE starting work and have it inspected by them (the local authority will charge a fee for this).

You need to ask him why he broken the law and advise him that he must complete the work in accordance with current regulations. Notify your local authority (Building Control) if he wont.

You should have gotten yourself a registered electrician form here: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
Go there and type in your post code to find someone in your area.

You have to get this sorted otherwise there will be a big question mark over the electrical work when you come to sell your property.

Please note that most competent electricians are not interested in making good this sort of mess or certifying it!

TTC

PS Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good

Incidentally, you can easily install Main Bonding yourself. It does not involve "live" wires; it is not Notifiable work and does not need to be done by a qualified electrician. It is basically just a matter of fitting large earth wires onto pipes with clamps and connecting them to your main earthing terminal. If you want to do it yourself post back and we will explain more fully.

If you can provide a photo of the areas showing the incoming service head, supplier's fuse, meter, and consumer unit, it will help.

If the incoming gas and water pipes are a long way away from the meter, that might be why your electrician didn't feel like doing it himself.

JohnD said:
It is basically just a matter of fitting large earth wires onto pipes with clamps and connecting them to your main earthing terminal. If you want to do it yourself post back and we will explain more fully

I'd appreciate that as I rent a house and I suspect the earthing arrangments aren't satisfactory, what do I need to do to bring it up to spec?

Thank you.

GMH, you are a hi-jacker. Have a look at Forum Rules and start your own.

But first read Electrics UK starting at the top one.

Look for "Main equipotential bonding" and "Supplementary equipotential bonding"

JohnD said:
GMH, you are a hi-jacker. Have a look at Forum Rules and start your own.

But first read Electrics UK starting at the top one.

Look for "Main equipotential bonding" and "Supplementary equipotential bonding"

Sorry, I thought this was a post relating to lack of bonding, didn't realise it wasn't.

Yeah, it is, although it can become confusing if two different persons are simultaneously posting different questions on the same topic. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up Spark123, I just want to safegaurd my family, not hi jack anything! Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back