Just hired a Bricklayer... Not happy after second day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a Bricklayer start on Tuesday with a laborer. £250 a day for both. 40m2 extension, beam and block floor already layed. Need them to lay 500 brick plus 42 blocks up to damp then 600 blocks above damp. So far after 2 days they have layed 42 blocks and 344 bricks. Yes they speny 20 mins helping me move some steel beams and the laborer has spent some time today backfilling some trenches (not asked for). However I would of expected them to be at least up to damp by now. Am I being unreasonable? I want to say somthing. Pics attached for a better idea of job.

Sponsored Links
Your paying day rate what do you expect? Have you got something in writing saying how long they will work in a day and the expectation how long they will take? If not then they have a license to print money.

What's the quality of work like?

Probably a bit slow, but then they are willing to help you do extra work, so seem like nice people. Good trades are hard to come by.

Judging by the speed houses are going up down the road from me, I would say that's a little slow, but I dont know site conditions,weather, anything else that might be slowing them down etc

Sponsored Links
Your paying day rate what do you expect? Have you got something in writing saying how long they will work in a day and the expectation how long they will take? If not then they have a license to print money.

Nothing in writing but turn up at 8, leave at 4. Few cups of tea, 30-40 min lunch break. Even for day rate I expected them to be a bit quicker tbh.

What's the quality of work like?

Probably a bit slow, but then they are willing to help you do extra work, so seem like nice people. Good trades are hard to come by.

Judging by the speed houses are going up down the road from me, I would say that's a little slow, but I dont know site conditions,weather, anything else that might be slowing them down etc

Work quality I would say is average but maybe too eairly to tell. Seem relitivly tidy. Not much slowing em down that I can see. A bit drizzly thisafternoon but carried on laying. I just feel like I would be quicker... Never a good sign.

As others have said, a price for job trather than day rate would likely get them moving quicker.

Did they offer an estimation on how long they thought it would take?

They are currently laying these blocks with what looks like at least a 50mm bed on them. Surely this is not good? Is this acceptable. I'm getting so annoyed! My beam and block floor was level over 12meters within 3mm. They are now laying blocks on it with a 50mm bed one end and a 10mm bed the other. Seem to be laying it in line with existing house rather than level??!!!

If you have any concerns and you sound like you do, STOP THEM NOW and discuss it with them, not strangers on a forum who can’t see the whole picture.

If you have any concerns and you sound like you do, STOP THEM NOW and discuss it with them, not strangers on a forum who can’t see the whole picture.
That's all well and good but I ain't a Bricklayer..... Question... Is a 50mm bed OK?

That's all well and good but I ain't a Bricklayer..... Question... Is a 50mm bed OK?
Neither am I but I’d ask why, if my base was level, is there a 50mm bed on one side and a 10mm one on the other? They obviously believe it to be 40mm out. Ask them to show you and see what they say.

Not a brickie but if a wall is to be rendered/plastered inside and not outside, isn't it expected that the wall lines up with the existing exterior brickwork?
Aesthetically it would look nicer when finished, and once internally plastered who's to know?

Not a brickie but if a wall is to be rendered/plastered inside and not outside, isn't it expected that the wall lines up with the existing exterior brickwork?
Aesthetically it would look nicer when finished, and once internally plastered who's to know?
External will be rendered.

If external and internal to be rendered then that shouldn’t be a problem should it?

If external and internal to be rendered then that shouldn’t be a problem should it?
No I guess not. Just stressing me out! I've had this thing in my head for months. Was gonna lay blocks myself and now letting someone else do it is hard cos they ain't doing it how I would do it.

Sponsored Links
Back