Just how many cores for a wired burglar alarm?

It’s going off topic from wire cores, but I’m having an episode…

<rant>
I wouldn’t have had to do all this damn upgrading if wired alarm panel technology wasn’t as crap as it is. The panels are very much outdated and lacking:-

• The tamper system is ill thought and laid out. Choc blocks. Really?
  • The SET output harps back to contacting Dixon of Dock Green, which has then been bastardised for resetting sensors (as discussed elsewhere). It’d be labelled RESET or CLEAR wouldn’t it and not source ½ amp.
  • What the hell is commIP? Serial communication over dial up over ip? The Hayes command set died out along with 56K modems. I’m looking for native tcp/ip ethernet packeting.
  • I’m looking for an embedded web server for status monitoring and email notification which I’m having to add with custom hardware /software.
  • What’s with sticking ¼W resistors from Radio Shack inside factory made contacts that clearly aren’t meant to be there? They’d standardise their values and put them in at manufacture for zero cost. As discussed elsewhere.
  • You can’t see the diagnostic LEDs on stock bell boxes.
  • You can’t see the stock strobe in daylight when most burglaries occur. You hardly see it at night.
  • The LCD UI sucks. Clearly the panel manufacturers can’t program. Perhaps they write the firmware in assembler and haven’t discovered IDEs. At least the manual isn’t in Korean.
  • Why doesn’t it talk? Speech synth is easy. I’m sure blind people might want an alarm too. Probably more than most.

If you think I’m wrong, compare the cost and capability of an Arduino Mega & ethernet shield & 4GB, with a crummy Honeywell. £25.

And anticipating what you’re about to say, I didn’t buy the panel for the hardware. I could have easily provided that functionality with a PLC or Arduino. I bought the software inside (naff as it is) which would have taken weeks to write and test.
</rant>

I’m better now.

Sponsored Links
It’s going off topic from wire cores, but I’m having an episode…

<rant>
I wouldn’t have had to do all this damn upgrading if wired alarm panel technology wasn’t as crap as it is. The panels are very much outdated and lacking:-
  • Why doesn’t it talk? Speech synth is easy. I’m sure blind people might want an alarm too. Probably more than most.

Haha, this reminds me of the car alarm in Max and Paddy "Get back ya bastards, i'll break ya legs"

If your so clever why ask such a basic question in the first place? I can see from your sketch that your system complies fully with all the standards required from a professional security system... Not.
Think your just trolling now so why don't you go and do some quantum mechanics in your shed then tell God how he did it all wrong. My last word.... Thread blocked.

Sponsored Links
why ask such a basic question in the first place?

Because I don't know the answer and have little experience of alarms.

I asked specifically about cores for the sensors and hoped to get a professional's perspective. I'm not a professional, just a DIYer. It's sometimes difficult to keep these threads on track and they wander off topic. Somebody please tell musszzy I'm sorry :) Anyway, if anyone thinks my mods will burn the house down, please tell me. Otherwise, I'm done.

Last edited:
Because I don't know the answer and have little experience of alarms.

That was obvious before you admitted it.

Your three core cable to the siren(s) ...is it protected from attack by an intruder about to enter the property ?. If it is not protected then cutting it will ensure the siren(s) never sound. The most simple bell box has an internal battery that will operate the siren if the cable is cut.

No, he's better off having a silent alarm and placing a bottle of Fruit Shoot with a bag of Haribo inside near the entrance door. This will slow them down to allow for capture.

Why not just use the equipment that is available straight off the shelf, it works. I know this is DiY so you can do what you like, within reason.

Pro equipment, sirens and strobes have to turn off at 15min, any longer and you will have the Environmental Health Dept after you.

Should it be necessary they will break-in to your property with the police and an alarm engineer to silence your alarm and guess what, who gets the bills, you do,

Does that ever happen? I took down a bell box on a disused house after it had been ringing for over 18hours, we couldn't get the police out and owners uncontactable.

Why not just use the equipment that is available straight off the shelf, it works. I know this is DiY so you can do what you like, within reason.
Ordinarily this makes sense but in some cases where homes are more remote and through personal choice of course something louder with a different tone than everyone else and brighter is the way to go. 15 minutes of listening and staring at mine would render you a basket case so I've had the siren time reduced considerably unless reconfirmed.

Does that ever happen? I took down a bell box on a disused house after it had been ringing for over 18hours, we couldn't get the police out and owners uncontactable.
Done it myself as the engineer with the police etc, quite a few times. Council gets the police to attend. House owner gets bill and snotty letter from Environmental Health.

What about this?
If his 3 core (T&E) 1mm goes from the outside to the panel then he could use 2 master blasters.Now that will be loud.
Tamper protection will be by electrocution
Only problem will not work if burglar takes fuse out of meter box on wall?

Done it myself as the engineer with the police etc, quite a few times. Council gets the police to attend. House owner gets bill and snotty letter from Environmental Health.

Interesting, must have just not got the right people. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back